free hit
counters
steering wheel alignment - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PhilW

steering wheel alignment

Hi

Suspension rebuild going well so far.

However............Last year I replaced the steering rack.  Following the fitting of the new one despite my best efforts the steering wheel was 180degrees out.  I.E. upside down when the wheels are set straight ahead.  I put this down to working outside, in very cramped conditions, freezing cold and under pressure to move the car.

Today I have taken a look and removed the rack.  Checked the flat on the input spline that connects to the UV joint is lined up correctly.  Checked the full travel of the wheel so I know the central position.  Checked the track rod ends are set equally and more a less an equal distance from the edge of the wheel arch and still the wheel is upside down. 

I can only assume the rack I replaced and track rod ends were installed incorrectly.  Something I didn't really note when I removed it.

Can anyone suggest anything.  My only idea is to rebuild everything.  Get the tracking set correctly.  Then when the car is running again remove the wheel and reposition it.  I assume it is just on a circular splined shaft?

Thanks for any advice

Phil

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes it's just a circular splined shaft, the only thinks to "worry" about are the steering lock (it should secure the wheel in a position that has the wheels pointed slightly left of straight ahead) and the cancelling mechanism for the indicators which are done by a couple of roll pins on the steering boss.

I done mine by turning full lock then counting turns of the wheel to full lock other way. Then divide by two and wind back that amount. Undo steering wheel and set level. Check you got same amount each way and then all done. Thats what I done seems right?

Buddsy

Yes this seems like I will have to do this.  Was the wheel bolt tight?  Did you undo it against the steering lock or that may risk damage.  Maybe just have someone hold the wheel as tight as possible?

Thanks

Phil

Just hold the wheel should do it.

Trying to turn it against the lock may risk twisting the column.

Get access to the wheel nut. Hold the wheel tightly...undo the nut (it's a nyloc)until it's loose. Drive car down the road, slowly, until it's going exactly straight. Stop car without turning the wheel...remove the nut, pull the wheel off the splines and replace the wheel on the exact straight ahead position. Replace washer and nut and tighten....works every time!!