free hit
counters
smog test - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rhopeconst

smog test

My brother died and left me an 84 turbo esprit. Finaly its in my name but I needed a smog test.
At the 15mph its a gross polluter but at 25 mph all is well. Wiil be putting in new spark plugs, air filter will that help that much?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Blocked progression holes? To rich on the idle mixture? I would suggest taking to someone who can tune carbs. Also check when cam belt was last changed.

Buddsy

Welcome to TLF Richard. :welcome: Though wish it was under more happy circumstances.

Duck over to the introductions thread as well and make yourself known there as more people read intros than maintenance specific posts.

Any other questions, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

I'm with Buddsy as well Richard in thinking carburettor tune. Especially if the car has been laid up for awhile.

Just to reiterate...CHANGE THE CAMBELT!!! This has nothing to do with the pollution, but they are the engine's Achilles heel and you ignore it at your peril. They should be changed every two years...there's a mileage limit, too, but nobody ever reaches it! Once you've got a new belt on it then you know where you are. Back before the web, when nobody knew anything and there was no-one to ask, the cambelt on mine broke the second week I had it.....

Hello Richard,

As others have said, a good carb tune / balance will get you through the smog. Actually you will need to lean the mixture out as much as possible to pass the smog. Then when it's passed reset everything for best performance. It's a simple job if you have the tools. Buy this book...

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Power-Dellorto-Carburettors-SpeedPro/dp/1903706750/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364913194&sr=1-8&keywords=carb+tuning

And get one of these....

http://www.carbtune.com/

The Federal spec carbs have some of the adjustment screws blanked off to prevent 'owner modifications' but the blanking caps can be drilled out easy enough. Out of balance carbs can be the culprit of many a bad running engine, so learning how to do it yourself will serve you well in the future. I find the carbs on my S1 go out of balance about once a month. If you don't have the workshop manual, get one. Plus a good timing light.

A shame I didn't see your post last night...right now I down the road from you at the 49er truck stop in Sacramento. I've not owned a turbo but the maintenance principles are the same, so I could of had a quick look at it and given you some pointers. I may be here tonight as well. If I am I will PM you and let you know.

Gavin

Edited by GavinS1

Have the Dellorto book with drawings. Not sure of which jets are for what. Have 3 boxs of different jets all numbered. Is there an overhead picture with arrows :) some where? I have the DHLA 45's

Sorry Richard, had to move on down to L.A.. Obviously I'm away from home so can't check my book for the photo with the arrows indicating what bits are what on the carb. Sure one of the other guys will chime in with some words of wisdom.

If you click on to Gavin's link to Amazon you can see the magic book. Then, if you click on "See Inside" you get some very useful pages!! Including a photo showing which are the idle jets and which are the main jet/emulsion tubes....just the overhead photo you wanted! Buy the book too...it's the definitive work on the subject. Get the settings lean for the test, fine, but don't run like that for long....the engine prefers to be a bit rich. As my MOT test man says..."Last thing you want to do is run that lean!"

The idle jets also cover the progression up to full throttle, it's only at the top end that the main jets come in, so check all the progression holes under the blanking cap on each choke....and make sure that the jet at the bottom of the idle jet assembly is the right diameter and not clogged up with varnish from old evaporated fuel. This can be critical to get a smoooooth progression.

The Morgan Carbtune is a very useful device, 4 tube manometer which enables easy matching of the 4 chokes. This is fun stuff...loads of happy twiddling!!

Edited by molemot

Is Des Hammill book better than Bob Tomlinson's book? It seems that there are idle jets and an idle adjustment screw. Seems this could be stressful but fun. thanks everyone.

Hammill's book is pretty much the bible. It's extremely informative and very well written.