free hit
counters
Screwed! Nuts.... (Bolts actually) - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hopo

Screwed! Nuts.... (Bolts actually)

Well ive been refurbing my compomotives... turns out its actually bloody difficult and takes an eternity. i have hit a major stumbling block of late.

Theyve been polished and painted but i now need to reseal them. The bolts in question:

066-2_zpsbdba81d1.jpg

As you can see they are in pretty bad nick. I can easily pick up new bolts no problemo, i belive them to be M6x40mm. Not sure which colour though.. some compos have black some silver....

The real issue however is the washers/Conical washers/Load spreading washers. they are all in a poor state and some are split or broken entirely. Now compomotive do not do them anymore at all.

Despite extensive polishing the rims have engarined pitted black marks on the outers where the washers have been, the original washers being 16mm across. I do not want to polish the rim too much for fear of dragging the hole and affecting the fitment. Image of the marking below:

064_zpsb3d980e8.jpg

Currently no such washers exist.... has anyone else experienced this issue? how have others overcome it?

replacement Bolts will only go to 12/14mm wide and would leave the mess previously disguised under the washer on show.. big problem.... Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Amongst other reasons i cant think why they switched to BBS! ............I HATE SPLIT RIMS!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

They should be fairly easy to get made at a local machine shop if you can't find some new ones. Probably not too expensive and no cleaning and polishing aggro involved!

Failing that, normal stainless washers ought to do just as well.