free hit
counters
Main Bearing Housing Torque Query - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sir Paolo

Main Bearing Housing Torque Query

Gents,

Please can you help - despite my wife's ideas to the contrary, I'm not going mad, but I have two versions of the Lotus WSM, and they state different torque loadings for the 12mm main bearing housing nuts.

One states 55 ft. lbs and the other 65 ft.lbs.

Please can you advise which is correct?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Are the two WSM's for the same year or are they for different year models? I'm grasping at straws there, as I am not sure if the engine changed as the models went on.

Thanks, Michael,

As far as I was concerned, the WSMs cover the same model year '82 2.2 n/a, but one is probably a later revision.

I wouldn't like to say which is supposed to have superseded which, but the 'older' one states 65ft.lbs

Hopefully, someone will chime in that is a lot more familiar with the year etc than I am. :)

I've just had a look at the copy of the manual on my computer. It seems the 907 engine 12mm studs should be torqued to 55 lbs-ft and the 912 engine 12mm studs to 65 lbs-ft. 8mm studs on both to be torqued to 14-16 lbs-ft. Threads to be oiled. So it seems to depend on whether your engine is a 907 or a 912....

Thanks, John.

It looks like it's not a mis-print afterall! The difference being whether or not it's a 907 (2.0), or a 912 (2.2).

As mine's a 2.2, I'll torque to 65ft.lb's.

Cheers :0)