free hit
counters
rebuilding front suspension - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
PhilW

rebuilding front suspension

Hi all me again.  

Suspension parts nearly all back together but still loose.  I known the wishbones should be tightened so there is a certain amount of spring.  I have read about loading the car with weights to simulate people and filling with petrol.  Petrol not really an option but is there a link anywhere to give me the procedure i should follow

Many thanks

Phil

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The pre load phill is so that when the suspension is extended ie the car off the floor if you tighten everything then the bushes become twisted and dont work right the weighting is more important for the optiline after use a jack under the lower arm compress the suspension and tighten everything then when the cars on the deck the bushes wont be operating at the wrong angle

It's as you indicate, supposed to be half tank of fuel and passenger weights but, measure height of subframe from floor (front & rear), measure vertical from centre of wheel to wheel arch. Jack up under each hub (so remove wheel) to obtain the hub to body distance less however much the car was sitting high (at front or rear as appropriate), then tighten the pinch bolts. That way you've achieved effectively the same as if it was sitting at the correct height when tightened.

This works as long as the car would have achieved the correct ride height at the given weight, if it wouldn't have then there's sortieing wrong with components anyway..

Ride height is supposed to be 170mm, below the chassis front crossmember. Useful to make up a gauge, a cardboard tube would do! I have a telescopic magnetic retrieval tool with the magnet bit attached to a bit of Harley Davidson clutch cover badge...this fits nicely underneath and you can put it under, then climb into the car and it gets telescoped in as the load goes on...and stays there so you can get out and measure it! Very useful if you are a solo mech.! A bit of iteration with your weight and whatever other weights you might have around the workshop (poly containers of water are useful and easily adjustable) and you can get the ride height set to the correct figure...then torque it all up.

Ride height varies quite a lot with the anti-roll bar bushes...if they are worn, it goes up! At least, mine did.....

Thanks all.  So to understand correctly

1. fill the car equally (side by side) with weights until i achieve the 170mm ride height.  ARB at this stage fully tightened
  2. tighten all up to correct torques
  3. Job done

Could use Andys method to give better access with the wheel removed but basically i must achieve 170mm before torqing up?

Thaanks

That's it. 170 mm and then the bushes will be loaded properly and work as designed.

Hi Andy

I have a feeling I am being particularly thick.  The car is sitting and supported on the lower suspension arm in a level position.  The spare tyre is fitted for weight.  I have lower on jacks the centre of the hub to 300mm.  My front wheels are 600mm tread to tread.  I am still way short of 170mm chassis measurement.  I have 100KG of water in drums to sit in the car but this seems to be making very little difference.

Think I will go back to the beginning and start again.

Would you be able to PM me your number.  Would you be prepared to help me on the phone?

I am struggling a bit here

Thanks

Phil

Hi Andy

I am think I am being particularly thick here.

I am trying to set the car height before tightening the bolts on suspension arms and am really struggling.

Would you be able to PM you number?  Would you be prepared to help me on the phone?

I am really struggling

Many thanks

Phil

Ignore the 170 mm ride height, this is only valid for original suspension components in perfect OE condition (and represents the mid laden height when two 'average' people of 70kg are in the car). Load the car seats as you have done to match the driver and passenger weight (or driver only if you're typically the only solitary occupant) and have the fuel tanks half full with the car sat on it's wheels. You're then good to torque up the suspension bolts.

Edited by sailorbob

Hi want to attch  a picture of the car but can only upload 9.68K file.  too small.  Any ideas

Thanks

Well here it is.  Not sitting to bad either.  What do you think?

Hi Phil

Nice car, I like the colour, looks good.

More pics please :thumbsup:

Chris

Edited by ChrisJ