free hit
counters
Autocar Exige V6 S Test - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hedgerley

Autocar Exige V6 S Test

A more comprehensive review/test in this weeks Autocar and I have to say they have partly redeemed themselves after last weeks 'Liquidation' hoo hah.

They are particularly generous, giving it 4.5 stars but clearly state its no Cayman rival at this price point (it comes second in their 'Top 5' with the Cayman first) but they give it 5 stars for performance as well as ride/handling and heap praise on the DSM and brakes. Lotus ride comfort under 'normal' conditions continues to amaze them. The only real complaints they have are s to request a slightly bigger steering wheel, a more generous fuel tank and a 'tad' more interior plushness.

Otherwise it does what says on the tin and does it very, very well. 'Fast and raucous just as a Lotus should be'

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/lotus/exige-s

I keep finding myself looking and thinking about an Elise S or Exige S Roadster...which is ridiculous because there is no way on earth I have that kind of money to spend on such things...but still I look and lust!

Buddsy

I so want one. But the way the cars are retaining their value it will be quite a few years before they get to my level of £25k.

Glad to see that Autocar confirm Lotus' acceleration figures with the weight adjustments made!

Taking appropriate details from the Autocar text and assuming a) humans weigh 75 Kg and b) that Lotus' figures were with say a quarter of the circa 24Kg fuel stated as the full fuel load at Mira:

Autocar (2 people) tested a total weight of 1,350 Kg and Lotus (one person) 1,257 Kg.  That is an extra 7.4% in weight for the Autocar test.

Taking average acceleration from the F=ma relationship, the Autocar figures represent 1.074x times those of Lotus.  Making the corrections, the Autocar test gave:

0-60     3.80 secs

0-100   8.94 secs

Lotus' figures as I recall!

(That's about what it felt like at my road test on Monday!  And yes, there are minor secondary factors relating to weight dependent clutch slip and road adhesion effects and stuff I don't know enough about, so it's not quite as simple as F=ma, but I do believe they are not significant.  And by "fuel weight" I mean all the incidentals in the car. )

Im still curious about the Elise S as thats nearly as fast from the 1.8 engine.

0-100mph about 9.9 seconds

0-60 in 4 seconds.

The Elise S seems to being overlooked at the moment.

Buddsy

Buddsy, your post raised my interest and I looked at the Autocar review.  They have numbers that are not quite so impressive; of course perhaps it's the 2 versus 1 aboard difference again.

FWIW, they say: " ............... to get 100mph from a standing start, the Elise S does it in little more than 11 seconds.  62mph comes up in 4.6".

But away from the track, I find it hard to imagine exploiting the Exige S except in short bursts, unless well away from the south-east. That could get frustrating. The Elise S would be more useable and still quite exciting on the road. And the economics are in different worlds.  But having sampled the Exige............... and we only live once...........

I agree with you, Bibs: the Elise S looks like a cracking proposition - even does high 30's mpg on the combined cycle, too! Given how easily people get the power up to 240-60 bhp, I do wonder if Lotus didn't keep the power lower when they reintroduced a top-end Elise so as to not tread on the Exige's toes!

If I had the £££ for an Exige S but wasn't prepared to wait until ... this Christmas? Next one after that? ... I'd be tempted to buy an S2 Elise, pop in MSC's 310 bhp Honda set-up (stilll does 40 mpg) and get the interior refurbished into something resembling the Exige S Roadster shown at Geneva/Goodwood. I think you'd have something on a par with the Exige S and save a few £££ while you're at it.

Oops, meant Buddsy, not Bibs! Sorry, guys: my bad!