free hit
counters
Rear damper removal on 85 Esprit....... - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jdfish

Rear damper removal on 85 Esprit.......

........have new dampers but I'm at a complete loss as to how to remove the two top nuts on the damper stem. There is NO access!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I seem to recall that there are little plastic covers that allow access from inside the car?   I've certainly replaced mine on an '84 and dont recall any major issues    

on my 89SE, not sure if same as the earlier cars, I bought a thin bicycle wrench and opened it up to the width of the lower nut to hold that one still, and then I use a rotating ratchet wrench driver thing (one that you don't have to swing, instead you twist the handle to rotate the ratcheting end).  That helped a lot!

Like this

accessories-bikemaster-tool-hand-3-8-mul

Actually this is the one that I have

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-094606-FatMax-Rotator-Socket/dp/B0024LEASQ/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1365099411&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=ratchet+drive+double

On Sue's 84 TE RHD the drivers side was under a square plastic cover in the boot. Held in place by 4 small screws. Might be under some carpet?

On the passenger side an asbestos like semi circulsr domed cover held on by two self tappers

Hidden behind the wheel arch heat shield from memory. Take the wheel off and it might be easier to see. Self tappers were rusted in place so drilled out and then pop riveted when I put it back

Hope that helps

John

Mr. Unsworth has it. The LH side can turn into an engineering exercise, got to get the asbestos heat shield off. Don't panic because it's asbestos, the hard sheet stuff is harmless; asbestos only becomes a problem when it is loose fibres which you can inhale. Mine had the heat shields dangling off anyway, so I had to invent a way to put them back!! Ratchet ended spanners can be useful, too.

Thanks for all of the advice gents.

Job is done and the new dampers are in. Used a breaker bar with a socket attachement so that I could get at the nuts 90degrees.  It took a while but it worked.