free hit
counters
Praising the Evora and its V6 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AnthonyBraham

Praising the Evora and its V6

I found this account I had written after a tour of Burgundy in the Evora last summer. I think it’s worth sharing. It shows the car’s GT abilities, as well the engine’s qualities.

The tour included some open, fast roads, and others that were more twisty, with very little traffic, which were ideal. One note: my Evora has the Sports exhaust and the short-ratio gearbox. Having driven cars with both ‘boxes, I can’t emphasize how much better the shorter box brings out the car’s and the engine’s character.

First, I think the normally aspirated, mildly tuned Toyota V6 is a very good choice of engine. It deserves better than the indifferent comments it has received in the press. Like all modern engines, it needs some performance-oriented mileage to start giving its full potential. Most press cars don’t have this. I find that mine has loosened up properly after 20,000 km and 2 years.

Power. There is always enough torque low down and, while you have to wait until 4,500 rpm for maximum urge, which keeps going until the 7,000 rpm limiter, you never feel cheated in the lower range. It is deceptively quick and smooth at the same time. It is also happy to cruise at idle in 6th at 30 mph without complaining, making it much more user-friendly in traffic than any Italian engine or Porsche’s flat sixes.

Sound. Admittedly, the engine is over-silenced with the standard exhaust. Above 4,500 rpm, the distinctive scream is not unpleasant, though slightly muffled. But I think the car works better with the Lotus Sports exhaust. The sound is more satisfying, meaty at low revs with a pleasant, not invasive, roar as the revs mount, and a Ferrari-like scream when you approach the rev limiter. It also gives better throttle response than the standard setup.

Fuel consumption: I have been impressed by the low fuel consumption overall. On my tour of Burgundy, I averaged 10.3 litres/100 km (about 23 US mpg, 27,5 UK mpg). Given my driving style and the car’s performance, this is very good indeed.

Last, reliability and serviceability. Mine has been faultless so far. Based on others’ ownership experience, it has proved reliable. I understand it is also cheaper to maintain than any of the Italian or Porsche engines. This is an important factor for ownership.

Conclusions: The Evora’s normally aspirated V6 deserves more credit than it has been given. Reviews tend to concentrate on the immediately obvious qualities of an engine, which is only half of the picture if you’re going to buy the car and live with it on a daily basis. I think it is a balanced, user-friendly engine, with a good dose of character and sportiness.

As for the car’s Grand Tourer qualities: After driving 600 km in one day on a variety of roads, with a few stops on the way, I felt as fresh as a daisy arriving back home. Outside temperatures ranged from 12 to 32 degrees Celsius, but the heating and aircon kept the temperature inside very comfortable. The last 2 hours of the return journey were in appalling conditions: heavy rain, unlit roads with no markings (the bi-Xenon lights work well). I maintained a very brisk pace while always feeling confident in the car’s ability to handle unexpected bumps, sudden corners. It gave me the comfort I needed to continue when, in another car, I would probably have stopped for a rest.

The only gripe on this drive was with toll booths on French motorways. The low body and wide rear wheel-arches of the Evora made it impossible to reach out to the toll machines without actually stepping out of the car. I am glad I don’t have to live with that every day.

Otherwise, in my opinion, the Evora lives up to, and exceeds, its standard of a Grand Tourer with sublime handling and steering.

Anthony

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Anthony, good to read such a report.

I endorse your comments on the gearbox and Sports silencer.  Also interested to read your comment about continued loosening up as the mileage builds.  Not the first such reference I've seen. It relates to comparisons between Evoras, a recent topic on another thread here.

Just one point: like you initially I assumed that the Evora was widest across the rear wheel arches - but it is the same width as the front. Just an illusion!   No need to get the tape measure out - just find any of the spec sheets that show a plan view.

Mel

So once again we see that the French are incapable of constructing a decent toll booth. :getmecoat: