free hit
counters
P1420 CODE - ECU/OBDII - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
squawk7700

P1420 CODE

I've got a CEL as well as an ABS light on my 2000 esprit. I've read through some of teh posts on the ABS but the CEL is a mystery. The only code coming up on my scanner is P1420 which is a "manufacturer specific powertrain code." Can anyone help with what this means. Thanks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

check your generator !!

..*Batery voltage above specced level*   --the ABS controler sees it, and the engine computer too ..so was there something that needs repair  ..have you worked on the generator [regulator]  ?

..can you feel notable temperature increase on the battery mains

you can find it in the workshop-manual, so why havent you downloaded it by now

..as you have at least two V8 in your fleet

Thanks Gunter. Ran the battery test and yes, meter showing some spikes at 16V and 19V. Can it be anything else than a faulty alternator? The problem manifested itself once I changed then battery. Before that all was good.

Also, I have the service notes manual (has sections like BL, ML, etc) but no workshop manual. From where can I download one?

And thanks for your tips on the rear main seal leak, I've updated that topic with what I did to prevent the leak, which is along the lines of what you suggested.

I owe you a few cold ones.

Service-notes manual is the same sentence as 'Workshop-manual'   ..just this document where all sectuions of the Esprit '93 on (S4/S4s/V8) is documented in  .. in the *pdf file there even is the benefit of having a parts-list in it for the older cars as well.

the moderators & Bbs don't like the (illegal) pdf-file, but google will help you, just use the Term

*Ricks cars manuals* to find the right page (should be right on top there, think it is a usefull page ..and mention, it's not my page!!)

...as for the voltage peak:

if you have reconnected your battery in a wrong way on first try, it could have caused some damage there in the system, that's what I would think of it

..so until you not plan to run your car with a max. of around 1500rpm from now on (to pevent it from any more damage in the ECM and injector/ignition drivers)  -I would say give the alternator to a repair shop as soon as possible.

..you can even undo the alternator on your own at home -with some axle stands and a good car jack that lifts high up (advice is in here in many ways in the board)    -and you will find UK/US parts-reference for suitable (cheaper) replacement alternators from other cars in the section *V8-parts crossreference*