free hit
counters
Removing door outer weather strip assembly on '88 Esprit Turbo - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Jamie Garroch

Removing door outer weather strip assembly on '88 Esprit Turbo

I've read a couple of threads on replacing the weather strips with alternatives to the standard 3 piece assembly where the rubber seal is sandwiched between the outer steel strip and inner steel strip with rivets.

The problem I'm having is removing the old assembly in order to respray the outer steel strip in its original satin black.

Once the door panel is off I can get the three nuts off of the underside of the outer strip (with a lot of fiddling behind the door drop glass in raised and lowered positions) but the strip remains firmly fixed to the door. Is the strip glued to the door panel as well as being fixed with these 3 nuts?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi, took mine off for same reason and stuck with sealant, used sharp blade and gently prised,took ages but worth the effort,

Good luck !.

Thanks Sweeney. With the words "stuck" and "sealant" you convinced me not to try to take them off. The refurb is minor since I've caught it in time (before they really rust through).  So, I managed to respray them without removing them using the following technique:

1. Find a wife who doesn't mind you using kitchen equipment to repair your car!

2. Take one of those thin flexi chopping mats (~0.75mm thick) or similar and cut into strips ~2-3 inches high by ~15 inches wide.

3. Slide them slowly lengthways under the outer door weather steel strip and the door fibre glass (you may need to remove the 3 nuts from inside the door panel that secure the steel strip to the door and possibly use a stiff flat blade to prise up the strip – I used a wide chisel, and a strip of wood to protect the door paint, very carefully!)

4. Seal the joins of the cutting mat with masking tape

5. Tear 4 inch strips of masking tape and slide them, sticky face up, between the outer steel strip and the rubber seal (which touches the door glass)

6. Lift the tape and stick to the glass so that a 1-2mm gap can be seen between the strip and the rubber

7. Repeat steps 5 & 6 along the length of the strip

8. Mask off a suitable area around the door

9. Prepare the surface for spraying

10. Add coats of primer and matt topcoat as required

11. Wait to dry and remove all masking, taking care to slide cutting mat plastic out from under the steel strip parallel to the door

I've posted some photos on Dropbox as I don't think as a new member I can do this directly in the forum.  You can see the green strips I used.

That's an interesting observation as I thought I saw 5 on the SJ spare part SJ082U0024 but assumed that there were more on that pattern part. I used a mirror inside the door panel several times and could only see 3.  I'll check again when it's not raining!

Hi,mine had three nuts holding the weather strip.One of the worst jobs I've done ,had to strip the door down to nearly the shell.I then proceeded to silicone them on .Cheers.

What brand, colour paint did you use?

What brand, colour paint did you use?

Just a bulk standard Halfords branded Grey Primer and Matt Black.  I've used the same combo in the past on various other matt black components including the wing mirror inserts and wiper arm, with excellent results.  I've since used the same paint to refurbish the black areas just in front of the engine air intake areas behind each door.  Looks fantastic now!