free hit
counters
Ongoing construction work at Lotus factory in Hethel? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ongoing construction work at Lotus factory in Hethel?

Hey guys...

I'm intrigued by a Youtube video i've just seen! The video was shot by the XCar crew while doing a piece on the Exige S. There appears to be a structure being erected close to where the Lotus Motorsport buildings do stand! Considering the site, this building appears to have quite a big footprint, it looks like it will have 2 levels!?

What is this thing?

Hethel new building.tiff 

You can easily spot it, 3'26 into the video. 

I know that the DB planned a new motorsport building  & pit complex but I am not sure that part of the "plan" was "kept". 

I also know that the Hethel Engineering Center down the road has begun construction on a new manufacturing extension on their site but that that's a few hundred meters away!

Could the ones in the know enlighten me.

Edited by NedaSay

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

when I was there May last year they told me it was a factory unit especially for the new Esprit line...

I assume its no further forward although it looked a lot more complete than in that picture.

No doubt our glorious leader can intervene with some rumour control....

Twitter @radioRedwards

That factory is the other end of the site Rick. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Ok, after scrutinizing the image for like an hour, I'm sure that this is not as close to the pit lane as I initially thought.

It appears to be just south of the south assembly hall left on the pic belo ! Last time I checked there was an old building there and this structure appears to be much taller and still under construction.

So I'm wondering if this is the engine assembly hall that was to be built for the "future" engine!?

New%20Hethel%20track%20masthead.jpg

Edited by NedaSay

No. That was to be combined with the new trim shop and is on the site of the right most building in the pic above, which in that pic is the old ASO offices/warehouse.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Ok, you're confirming what I sorta knew but needed confirmation about.... So uh? What is that thing supposed to house! a third assembly line? And I'm dreaming or have kept on working on it the structure was up when Chris Harris went to Hethel to test Exige S but back then it was just a skeletton... 

Edited by NedaSay

Does this help?

The building in the video is the manufacturing facility that was being built for the Esprit. It's not being completed at a great pace although there has been some work, the roof is a new edition from what I was told. It's on the site of what I've pointed out in the pic which was removed to make way for this construction. It's been being built for around 2 years now I think. You can see the marquees in the background in your image, those are the marquees that store cars ready to be shipped. 

post-1-0-72899000-1365437904.png

Evora NA

Does this help?

The building in the video is the manufacturing facility that was being built for the Esprit. It's not being completed at a great pace although there has been some work, the roof is a new edition from what I was told. It's on the site of what I've pointed out in the pic which was removed to make way for this construction. It's been being built for around 2 years now I think. You can see the marquees in the background in your image, those are the marquees that store cars ready to be shipped. 

attachicon.gif2013-04-08_1713.png

Yes, it does help, it helps a lot actually thank you sir. Now I have a clear picture of the situation. 

They are still building the "Esprit" assembly building, this is interesting. 

It's good to have a C.E.O that is on top of things!

I too congratulate the company for their new communications policy.

I dug out my special crystal on a string, and moved it across the image of the factory, and I can confirm by the strange movement of the crystal that the building is indeed where the new esprit is being secretly developed, and will be unveiled to a shocked audience in a little under 12 months.

If anyone is interested, I have news about the forthcoming replacement Elise, based on the pattern of tea leaves in the bottom of my cup. 

This is holistic marketing for a new age! Well done Lotus!

I was at Hethel today just having a less than leisurely drive around the track in an Elise S. I tried to have a gander at this new building as I went round and to be honest I have little to report. It looks like it has been started but no work has been done for a little time. I did think about asking about it but I didn't expect much of an answer. 

Had a great day though and so good to back on track!