free hit
counters
Tubular manifold options - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
plumdeplakmuis

Tubular manifold options

Hi I'm looking into fitting a tubular manifold to my 1980 S2.2.

I found the options of SJsportscar and Lotusbits and looking for the experiences with both options.

Obviously there is a price difference, but does this justify the more expensive purchase.

Also there is always the option of fabricating one from scratch. Any advise or other ideas?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
Guest surferphil

I was talking to Matt about his and he advised to make sure there is a flexie joint to stop the manifold from cracking.

Personally if you get a stainless one then get it ceramic coated on the inside to protect the engine from the excessive heat the stainless steel will hold. Don't coat it on the outside or the reverse will happen.

Personally if you get a stainless one then get it ceramic coated on the inside to protect the engine from the excessive heat the stainless steel will hold. Don't coat it on the outside or the reverse will happen.

I dont think a thin stainless tube manifold would hold anything like the amount of heat a cast iron one would. I would get the outside coated to keep the engine bay cool and keep the inside nice and warm.

Buddsy

Hi,    The link you have posted ref the Ebay item is one that we have made.

We would only ever make a Turbo Manifold from mild steel due to it being stronger than stainless.   Also everything we fabricate comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Andy

www.fastroadconversions.com

Guest surferphil

Buddsy,

If you coat the outside you will increase the engine temperature through heat soak from the pipe, if you coat the inside the pipe will not get as hot in the first place so it will protect the engine bay temperature and the engine better. You should use heat shields to reduce the radiation from the pipe but allow it to cool. 

Coating on the outside will increase the temperature of the exhaust and engine which is what damages them.

Edited by surferphil

I have a lotusbits one on my car - in my opinion, it looks amazing (although I would prefer a twin pipe exit like the original exhaust), it sounds amazing and the car goes like a rocket - the only considerations are fitting it - it fits very close to the chassis on the S3 so I have heat shield along the chassis legs as it was taking the paint off (mine is painted as well a galvanized) - also bear in mind that it takes quite a while to fit it - I think mine took about 2-3 hours to get it on the car - and this of course means everything the exhaust needs to come off (e.g. if you are replacing gaskets / head re-build) this does add to the cost.. You will also likely need to have the car tuned a bit as it will breathe better (mine was running lean so needed re-jetting - but I also fitted a HC engine) But I am very pleased with mine - it makes the car sound as it should - although it is civilised on the motorway, when you floor it in a tunnel it sounds great... I will have it at Donnington if you want to hear. 

Edited by skiing