free hit
counters
Replacement oil pressure sensor - 95-97 Esprits with Caerbont - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul93Lotus

Replacement oil pressure sensor - 95-97 Esprits with Caerbont

I was wondering if anyone on here has purchased a replacement oil pressure sensor from SJ on here.

I am on a quest to determine the cross reference and I need to know what is engraved on top of the sensor.  The numbers on my original read "PTR 1006/10  700Kn^2...Made in UK" I have found what may be similar replacements with the specific ohm range (Low 275 ohms/High 27 ohms per gavin Roberts at Caerbont Automotive Instruments) - but my latest search (a Jag XJ12 sensor) resulted in a correct ohm range but a larger thread pattern that was significantly larger .  The sensors look like what has been typical in most older Jags/Rovers/Land Rovers/TVR's - likely an old Smiths sensor.  Also most alternatives do not appear to be M10 x1.0...but 1/8 x 27 thread pitch.

If anyone bought a replacement from SJ - I may be able to determine the correct cross reference from those numbers engraved on top as the Lotus oem is $$$.

Edited by Paul93Lotus

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

do you need the 0-5bar sender or the 0-10 bar sensor?

I have a brand new Lotus 0-5bar sensor from the later Esprit S4 I think, that I accidentally bought from Lotus cheap.

IMG_1535.jpg

From page 17-07A in the '88-'92 parts list:

Gauge, oil pressure, 0 - 5 bar              A089N6010F )                               
Sender/Switch*, oil pressure gauge/low oil             ) Prior VIN + + VIN 82/85 D 3344
             pressure tell tale, 0 - 7 bar  A082N6058F )                   82/85 - 1085
Gauge, oil pressure, 0 - 7 bar              A082N6061F >                       F - 2448
Sender/Switch* , oil pressure gauge/low oil            > From VIN +    Engine No. 25317
            pressure tell tale, 0 - 10 bar  A082N6062F >

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

The part on the bag is A082N6058F which according to the 88-92 parts manual, should be a 0-7bar sender, but it says 0-5bar, and has the later style screw on terminals...

Unfortunately it is for the Caerbont style gauges that were in 95 to 97 Esprits, not VDO gauged ones, so I do not think it is compatible...it is a 7 bar gauge. I think the ohm ranges are significantly different.

The original sender is a single spade connector.

Just to be clear there are two.

One for the oil pressure light and the other for the oil pressure gauge.

Not on the S4s and early V8's with the Caerbont gauges.  The oil pressure sensor is a single spade connector, unlike prior years.

Hi Everyone

Its been a while since I was on the forum for tech support. Been busy with work and so on.

Now I seem to have a problem with the oil pressure while driving at different speeds. When the car is started cold the pressure reads correct and as the engine warms up it normally drops to the one bar on the gauge and will fluctuate as I drive.

But recently I noticed that once I go past 70mph and higher the the pressure gauge drops off to below the red line and then rises again once I take my foot off the gas and let it coast back to 70mph.

I have checked the oil and topped up to the correct level and it still does that.

The other thing I have also noticed that when the car has been driven for say 400 miles the oil level goes low and requires 3/4 quart to bring it back to normal on the dipstick. There is no oil drop on the floor in my garage and nothing obvious on the engine area as all is dry.

Recently I had an oil change and the filter (lotus original) was the one Black in colour and not White as I have always had. It has the lotus name on the oil filter and fits ok. I wonder if there is a difference in this black oil filter, because as you rev the engine and drive at higher speed I would expect the oil pressure to read higher not go below the red mark.

Any suggestions as to what to do or check would be appreciated as usual. PS the car drives as normal when boost is on and the exhaust does not smoke which seems normal. I do not lose any power or hear any change on the engine running.

Thanks

Ameer

Sounds like you have a loose connection, probably at the sender on the block.

Also sounds like you have some oil consumption.  the oil could be in your intake, and then is being burned in the cylinder.  Look inside your charge cooler inlet and outlet to see if there is an oil film.

Then do a compression test on the engine.

Hi Travis

Thanks for that I will investigate over the weekend and report back.

Ameer

Just wanted to post the answer to my own post...speedycables (in the uk) was able to procure me one for appoximately $80 US shipped to California.  Just give them the PTR 1006/10  7 bar and they can hook you up...beats the price that is over double from Lotus.