free hit
counters
Evora Fire Extinguisher - Which One & Where? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Moxie

Evora Fire Extinguisher - Which One & Where?

Just realized I've been negligent and ought to get a fire extinguisher in my Evora. Which ones do you gents recommend and where do you stash yours? Thanks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you're serious about putting out a fire, you need a system plumbed into the engine bay.The little ones you carry in the cabin are as useful as a tin of petrol at putting a fire out, they last about 2 seconds.

Hello, with the french lotus club , it is mandatory to have an extingisher to participate to track days.

I have build in bonded aluminium à part fixed under the passenger seat ( moving with the seat )

The fier extingisher is fixes on it.

I enclose underground some photos.

Stephane

post-14243-0-49362000-1365794115.jpg

post-14243-0-24572800-1365794129.jpg

Wow, that looks good Stephane. Looking for a good place for a 1kg extinguisher, too...

post-14367-0-77861100-1365812751.jpg

Mine may not be as good as a fully plumbed system, but it’s better than nothing and a fire extinguisher is required at certain car shows I’ve attended.

Anyway, I mounted mine in the same location.  But, I was trying to figure out a way to mount my fire extinguisher without hacking up the interior as I wanted to mount it so it can be removed with no sign of it ever being there.

I ended up mounting it with two SS split shaft collars welded to a stainless bracket I made. The shaft collars clamp onto the seat adjustment bracket. The fire extinguisher bracket bolts to my bracket.

Oh, and since it clamps around the bar, I can still easily adjust my seat by lifting the seat bar as usual or remove it without a trace.

If you're serious about putting out a fire, you need a system plumbed into the engine bay.The little ones you carry in the cabin are as useful as a tin of petrol at putting a fire out, they last about 2 seconds.

I know what you are saying about the hand held jobbies but I would still like to get one for a bit of a backup just in case the need ever arises. I was looking at the ones on merlin motor sport. They do a 1 litre for £49.00 but the 1.75 is only a few quid more £55.00 but is approved for "national rallying, sprints/hillclimbs or pre 31/12/60 historic racing." 

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p13964/LIFELINE-FIRE-EXTINGUISHER-1.75-LITRE-HAND-HELD/product_info.html

BUT on ebay they sell similar ones for much less £15 to £20 and include VAT where the Merlin ones are plus 20% vat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2ltr-AFFF-Foam-Budget-Fire-Extinguisher-/280857801190?pt=UK_Fire_Extinguishers&hash=item41646df1e6

Much cheaper but is it worth spending the extra on a decent one or is the cheapo just as good?

Buddsy

You may remember I was a motorsport marshal for a couple of years. Those big extinguishers you see everywhere last about ten seconds, and it takes a couple of them to put out and keep out an engine bay fire, 2 types too. We used powder to put it out and AFFF to keep it out.

A 1kg extinguisher will give you about 3 seconds and to be fair, unless you go in through a wheel arch, opening the hatch to use the extinguisher will do more harm than the extinguisher does good. 

I do remember you doing that Bibs and I do understand everything you say. I think opening the rear hatch if there is a fire would do you no favours at all. It kinda feels so wrong not having one but I kinda guess your right and maybe will force me mentally in regular checks of the fuel lines etc.

Ebay does the big 6kg ones quite cheap. Do you think having one of those in the garage would be worth it?

Buddsy

Anything is better than nothing mate, it's just those tiny ones won't even cool down an engine fire. They'd be handy if a short ignited behind the dash perhaps but if they're powder you'll never clean it all out.

I've got a 5kg CO2 in the garage, plus a hose 10 feet away. I've also still got one of those tiny ones I used to keep in my Esprit too I think, perhaps I'll fire up the incinerator and film how effective it is to show you?

If anything is better than nothing how about a CO2 one? It says they are good for flammable liquids and gasses. If there was an engine fire a squirt up the wheel arch or in the louvres if an electrical fire behind the dash no mess? I know theres a suffocation issue but would cut the battery and get out!

Stupid idea?

Buddsy

My story , copied from another forum:

I saved my twincam Europa from going up with a hand held extinguisher. The engine was cutting out and the ignition light came on and we stopped. Got out the car and my lad, about 12 at the time, had picked up the extinguisher from the passenger footwell. I opened the engine compartment cover as I could see some smoke and the battery holder clamp had moved and shorted across the 2 terminals. The clamp was glowing red hot from the shorting and had caught the grp on fire and the flames had started nicely - right next to the fuel tank shocked.gif . Pulled the pin on the fire ex and gave it a good couple of bursts - it put the fire out quickly, but the clamp was still across both terminals and shorting. Quick blow with the base of the extinguisher knocked the clamp away from the terminals and al was safe. Waited 15 mins for it to cool down, started the car, and we were off again driving.gif. Very lucky really to have caught the fire in time, but without the small fire ex we would have had to just watch. Lesson learned.

I spoke with H3R and Sector 111 (H3R dealers), and Halotron seems the best overall. Might not save the car, but better then nothing and required for track days. Ideally I'd do a plumbed-in system, but that would need to wait until next year. Lotus has a plumbed in system for the Evora GTN (£465) at http://issuu.com/lotuscars/docs/racing_brochure/23?mode=window&viewMode=singlePage for those with gusto.

Sector 111 has a 2.5 lb. H3R Halotron at http://www.sector111.com/track/interior/h3r_halotron_fire_extinguisher.cfm but the bracket only fits Elise/Exige. Other than you two gents above who fabricated your own brackets, I can't find an Evora bracket anywhere...annoying.

On 27/04/2013 at 00:07, Moxie said:

Other than you two gents above who fabricated your own brackets, I can't find an Evora bracket anywhere...annoying.

Nearly 4 years on, I was wondering if there was an Evora FX bracket available yet?

They are required in the UAE. I'm not certain, but had always assumed mine came like this from the factory. Maybe with the resources and contacts that people have here you could find out. Perhaps there is a Gulf spec part you can order. 

IMG_6022.JPG

IMG_6023.JPG

IMG_6024.JPG

You're correct @ByJoveByJingle, the GCC state Evora's have them from the factory. It's the same one used on Elise/Exige (non-plumbed) cars....

http://deroure.com/diagrams.asp?MAK=1&MDL=20&TBL=6809&SMA=1&SMO=20&ST=Fire&SC=0

You get a spare wheel and trolley jack too, don't you Bill?

@JAWS Interesting! 

No, no spare wheel or jack. Where would you put a spare wheel? #HarryPottersBagSpecialEditionEvora? 

Same over here - not sure if its fitted once the car arrives by the dealer or if they ship them from UK over with them fitted. Does look good especially with the red interior trim.

IMG_4402.JPG