free hit
counters
Constantly beeping alarm - help! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AC84

Constantly beeping alarm - help!

Evening all.

Perhaps not the best way to introduce myself to the forums, but I really need some help. I bought a 1999 S1 Elise yesterday, and was grinning like an idiot the whole drive home, I absolutely adore it already. Suffice to say this evening hasn't gone quite so well.

Going by the diagrams in the manual and comparing them to the alarm keyfobs, I believe I have the optional upgraded Cobra 6422 alarm system fitted. The alarm fobs seemed a bit flaky the first couple of times I used them, so thinking I would avoid any confusion I just leaned in and used the touch key to deactivate the alarm. Instead of deactivating though it just started beeping, once a second or so, and it won't stop. It's been going for three hours now.

It's not the full siren sound, I think it's more of an "information beep". If I open either door or the front or rear hatch it goes from individual beeps to a continuous sound. If I close up again, it goes back to the beeps. It's clearly trying to tell me something, I just don't know what! The engine won't start, I think because the immobiliser is still active, but at least trying the ignition doesn't make the alarm go off.

The car manual doesn't make any reference to this behaviour at all, and I've tried everything I can think of. All sorts of combinations of ignition on/off, doors opened/closed, pressing either button on the keyfobs or using the touch key again, none of it makes any difference. I've replaced the batteries in both keyfobs. I've tried reprogramming one of the keyfobs as the manual says (I don't dare try both in case I'm left with neither of them correctly programmed) but I suspect the alarm isn't responding as the keyfob needs it to, because the alarm still seems to be armed when it should be disarmed for the reprogramming procedure.

The nearest thing I've made to progress is stuffing a towel in the siren to muffle it a bit, but that's not the long-term solution I was hoping for.

The only thing I haven't tried is disconnecting the car battery, but as the manual proudly tells me this upgraded alarm has its own independent battery I doubt that will help, and I fear it may set off the siren with no way to stop it. If I wake the neighbours' kids up again I think they might kill me!

I can't find any manual online for the alarm. I tried phoning Cobra alarms, Lotus themselves, and every main dealer in the UK, but as it was already gone 6 on a Friday when this all started I just got two security guards and a load of voicemail greetings.

Is there any chance some genius on here has seen this before and knows how to fix it? Please?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The only thing I can say is it makes this beeping noise if the main battery voltage is low and it starts operating on its own back up battery.

Try charging the main car battery.

If that doesn't help I think you can do a reset by pressing and holding both buttons on the key fob for about 30 seconds or so.

hey bud chances are yes if its not an open pin switch itll be the internal battery in the alarm if its a thatchem approved one some have batteries in the siren end for back up they do dis charge and can cause the sirens to plip

Bang on, thank you very much for your help. After advice here and elsewhere I bought a trickle charger, which when connected just returned a "bad battery" warning. A new battery is now on order, hopefully tomorrow evening I should get to drive my new car for a second time!

Mine does this 1/5 time is lock the Elise. Are we talking about the remote battery or the car battery? Because the remote doesn't have a good range . Someone please help

That's more than likely the remote battery mate. Quick, easy and cheap to replace :)

I've had this problem before - turned out to be that the rear trunk hatch was not closed all the way.