free hit
counters
brake pads stuck on rear brake discs - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
espritmania

brake pads stuck on rear brake discs

Hi ,I will be picking  up an Esprit S3 this week ans the rear brakes are seized on.I wish to take the pads out for the transport.I have no knowledge of S3 calipers.What is the easiest way of removing them,are they the same as the S1.Cheers Paul G.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Looking at the parts manuals prior to my85 they look the same but have slightly different part no and after my85 they are the same as on the early stevens with the caliper sliding.

To remove the pads you'll need to access from the boot floor region (or be very dexterous) and lift the calliper off its mountings to get the pad out. Could you prise the calliper such that it forces the piston back inwards a little bit and then tap the pads so they don't cause an issue?

Assuming its a pre-HC S3, then just undo the 2 13mm screws (using a 17mm on the sliding pin to stop them turning).  you can then remove the piston casting. (and tie it out of the way).  5 minute job (literally)  Andy - are we talking crossed purposes?  There is loads of access to the calipers, dont even need to remove wheels?.

I'm with you Steve, as long as you can get to the area and I'm never keen on jacking up and working under the car hence the preference for removing the floor but if it's supported well and so you can get under the car to work then I'm with you.

Cheers,similar to the S1 then,just undo the two 13mm bolts and slide out the way.Thanks

If the rears are seized 'on', aren't you going to have trouble getting them to slide off the discs?

Hammer, or if you cannot get there, hammer and punch. Hit the metal of the pad, it doesn't have to be hard, just a violent shock to break the rust part that's binding the two together.  Then you can get on with removing calipers pads etc to service them.