free hit
counters
2 Elevens and driveways - 2-Eleven Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jebjeb

2 Elevens and driveways

G'day all,

I'm seriously looking at getting a 2 Eleven but just had a worrying thought about getting it up my driveway.

Overall, it's not steep but it has an area where it transitions from the street over the footpath that has a fair rise on it.

I have a mildly track prepared Toyota MR2 roadster at the moment. It clears it by around 20mm. On level ground, the road to front splitter (bottom of front bumper really) height is 130mm. This lowest part is approx 700mm in front of the contact patch of the front tyres.

Would anyone be able to give me the equivilant dimensions I have here so that I can compare? Looking at a standard SVA 2 Eleven. I need;

- height from road to lowest and front most point of the splitter

- distance from contact point of tyre (front axle) to front most point of splitter.

If it isn't going to work, I might just have to use some timber or similar as ramps when I want to take it out of the garage.

Or, for road driving, is it acceptable to remove the front splitter? How difficult is it to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Jeb

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Careful Jeb. Only using those 2 measurements assumes that the MR2 wheelbase and the 2-11 wheelbase are the same. You need the wheelbase to work out where the rears are vertically (sitting on your road) in relation to the fronts as this will also affect the ground clearance at the front. If the wheelbases are the same or as close as, then you're ok.

I went through this with my esprit when I was buying here in Melbourne. I still have some driveways at friends houses that I have to enter and leave almost parallel with the road so that I come off the driveway 1 wheel at a time.

Thanks for the reply.

It should be ok regardless of wheelbase as the problem is as both axles are on the level road, as the front of the car comes up the driveway is where there will be any issues. As soon as the front wheels hit the lip of the driveway, the splitter gets plenty of clearance.

At least I hope!

It isn't a major issue. It would mean I would just have to throw down some timber anytime I come in and out. Would just be annoying as I would want to do the run to work on nice days and it doesn't look super easy to just jump in and out of the car all the time!

I see you're in Australia. I'm an Aussie but have been livin in the UK for 14 years now. Potentially thinking of moving back next year and contemplating taking the the 2 eleven back with me as a personal import. Just investigating if there would be ay problems getting it registered there. Luckily, personal imports are exempt form most of the ADRs and other regs so it should be possible (I hope)!

Have a look on here Jeb. I don't think the 2-11 is eligible as this talks about personal imports.

RAWS

Simon imported his S4 Esprit and that's not on the list. I thought if you owned it more than a year, any car was OK for a personal import?

As for driveway clearance, reverse*  :thumbsup:

*The front splitter is only painted plywood anyway, most owners remove there's and cut a few replacements, using the original as a template.

Oddly, Bibs, the list seems to have changed. There was quite a few different years esprits on there before as well.

Best for Jeb to email them and ask the question.

---------------

I'm an idiot. :stuart:

I have posted the link to the list of Registered Automotive Workshops that are currently listed and what they can comply.

This link might be a better place to start.

The question of whether a 2-11 can be registered would need to be asked of the registering authority in whichever state Jeb was considering living in.

Cheers guys.

I will give it a shot and probably take the splitter off and make some more as Bibs suggests

As for the Personal Import side of things, it is the most flexible method of importing vehicles into Australia. RAWS is quite limiting but PI only needs (in NSW at least) to comply with the basic seatbelt ADRs and then the normal blue slip road worthiness side of things (equivalent to MOT).

My only concern is that the 2 eleven only comes with harnesses and no lap sash retractable belt but I have a compliance company looking into it now.

Would be nice to have the only road registered 2 eleven in Australia. Might be worth a bob or two as well! Anyway, that's only a possibility at this stage. Looking forward to owning and driving it here in the UK.

Off to Brands Hatch this evening more maybe my last track time in the MR2.

You've got nice weather for it at least! 

There are some 2-Eleven's in NZ, and some in Aus too but I don't think any road registered...

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/27584-2-eleven-in-australia

I measured the clearances on mine, which I think is pretty standard.

Front edge of the splitter to the ground is 92mm. Tyre contact patch to the front of the splitter is about 820mm, so you'll struggle!

Regarding harness and retractable belts, I think the 2-11 had to be fitted with retractable belts for the Japanese market, so there must be an official kit available.

Neal.

Interesting point.

If you look under seatbelts in the DeRoure parts catalogue (13.27)  you will see that there are ineria seatbelts listed and on the face of it the roll cage looks identical so maybe you can.

Now what modifications would be required to the floorpan etc to retroactively fit to non-Japanese cars is another matter!

Edited by pgn340r