free hit
counters
Front Brake Caliper Removal - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
winners

Front Brake Caliper Removal

Hi all

want remove the front calipers on my S1 so I can replace the rubbers, ideally with as little effort as possible!

I looked at the job over the weekend, the plan being unbolt and remove the caliper, push pistons out using pedal pressure after removing the pads, clamp the brake pipe somewhere and then take the caliper for refurbishment. However I hit a problem. I couldn't access the second bolt ad I haven't got a 19mm spanner and a socket won't fit.

My question is, is the above possible and any tips out there to help me

Cheers

Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hello mark im at my unit on wednesday. I can bring back a 19mm spanner if you want to pick it up

Thanks Pete, but already got one.from.a neighbor. Just got to see if the rest of the plan is possible now!

Entirely possible, Mark. Main problem will be getting the pistons out....but, if you intend to get the caliper refurbished elsewhere, why bother? Just give them the whole thing...both of them, as you won't wanbt to do just one side, will you?(!) Of course, the d-i-y option isn't that difficult. You can get new seals and stainless pistons and clean the units and install the new parts. You need to dismantle the calipers...indo the bolts and split them into two seperate piston/cylinder units. There is a rubber seal between the two halves, so take care of it and they reassemble fine with the old seal left in situ. Getting the pistons out using the brake system usually results in one moving and the other staying put...so you'll have to use a G clamp or similar to ensure that you get both of them to the point of coming out together, then one will come out using brake pressure and the other can be removed using a mole wrench or similar....use an aluminium or tinplate shim between the molewrench and the piston to protect it. Don't forget that the securing bolts have lockplates and you have to bend the tabs back first!

Thanks John. Any tips on removing the brake pipes as it wasn't obvious when I had a quick look where to best disconnect.

It all depends....!! Haven't dealt with an S1, but with my S3 Turbo there is a flexible hose going to a junction bolted to the upright, and a short length of brake tubing (steel or nickel copper)going to the caliper itself. Whichever of the joints undoes the easiest is the way to go; the brake pipe going to the caliper can corrode and become difficult to remove...the hex gets rounded sometimes which doesn't help. The inboard end of the flexible hose fits through a bracket and has a nut on the other side, then more metal brake pipe is fitted to this. The flexy rubber pipe is easily clamped with either a special clamp or a suitable mole wrench with some rubber tube or suchlike over the jaws to protect the flexy tube. Consider changing these flexy rubber thingies for Goodrich braided hoses, too.