free hit
counters
New brake pads - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

New brake pads

My old pads were a 'tad worn' after yesterday's hoon :(

Pads.jpg

I have just fitted the Green Stuff pads that have been sitting in my boot for the last 6 months! I know you hate them Dom but the brakes were grinding! :P So it was an act of sheer necessity (otherwise I think next time I'll go for Ferodo)

Yes Dave, I did it all myself! :(:unsure:

See!

Blimey.jpg

:P (I wish someone had told me you're supposed to get the oil IN the car :P )

Firstly and not so worryingly (but simply unpleasant) is they are REALLY smelly!

Secondly... I went for a 25 mile run to bed them in a bit and have noticed that under hard braking I get a scary grinding sound! :P (almost like when the knackered ones were on?) Unless perhaps it's from the rears but I'm sure it didn't sound like it?

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PMSL - nearly fell off the bleeding chair - wish you'd have forewarned that :unsure::P

Depends on the formula (think the last one was 5, you can see on the box) my ones never smelt bad.

The pads are coated in anti-contaminate covering (got them on the Elise and red stuff on the Esprit) so that has to come off 1st, makes a dirty mess of the wheels. You might have got some poo on the disc as well which can be burning off, grease / dirt etc. Idealy you should wipe the disc clean 1st - I used white spirit to clean it totally.

Shouldn't really push them that hard until they bed in a bit 1st as you can scour the disc becuase they are not bedded - people use various methods but I usually drive the car as normal trying not to stop the car 'dead' or you can get a build up of very hot material under the pad which can cause later probs. As long as you're thoughtful of the brakes they'll bed in nicely.

Harsh sound is pretty normal - it's as the pad is taking the face of the disc and rubbing off the protective coat. Give it a few 100 miles and see what you think then - as long as :

a ) the car is not pulling to the side

b ) You can stop easily (will be a bit bad at 1st)

c) no judder under braking

d ) clearance - ie wind the window down and press pedal gently when you're going along, should hear shhhhhhhhhh noise which disapears after you lift, means the pads are coming back off the disc.

Then you're fine.

Go washer your faces or you'll end up like me and have people asking where I have been on holiday :P

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

I drove about for over a mile or two at first barely braking at all and just 'touching' the brake pedal while going along to 'scrub' them VERY gently...

Then went for a good 25 odd mile drive out to the M25 and back, doing braking tests from 50-30 starting quite gently and very gradually building the braking pressure and going down as far as 20mph . Then got to the 70mph section of the A2 and did a couple of 70-50 ish stops and then 70 down to 20/30...

Did a couple of high speed stops right towards the end of the journey and one or two harder brakes right at the end (none were to standstill) and they were when I noticed the scary grinding sound! :unsure:

Yep I washed before I left - didn't fancy getting stopped and mistaken for a black and white minstrel show impersonator! :P (I can't believe that show used to be considered 'acceptable'!! lmao )

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

That was the green bit right?!?! :unsure:

Your run in was fine then. Probably on the heavy braking sesh you were still on the protective material or that meterial was burning off with the heat.

As long as the 4 conditions above are satisfied then keep going - should go within another few 50 miles.

If it don't then take them out (obviously remember which ones go where) and look at the pad, might have a tiny bit of poopoo (a stone shapped poopoo) inbetween them and the disc, actually no reason why you cant do that before you drive the car again.

Robin, I presume as they are compettition type pads they came with no "Anti-Squeel" shims or a packet of disc brake quiet to apply to the back of the pads between the backing and the calliper piston. :P

The above will probably solve your pad noise problem. :unsure:

17008952.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

They didn't come with anything no...

I kept all the various metal clips / pieces in place when I removed the old pads.

In fact the two passenger side springs were upside down - Good job I didn't start with that one or I would have been truly flumoxed for a while (presuming the previous person had done it right and I was doing something wrong!)

I am sure going from the parts manual that there were supposed to be clips / plates for the backs of the pads but when I took them apart, there were none ...

I did copperslip the backs and edges which allegedly reduces squeal etc...

...But it's not a squealing sound - it's very much a scary 'grinding' noise :unsure:

Hmm I don't think so - that's definnitely not what I saw in the parts manual!

They LOOKED liek they went across the back of the outer pad and clipped / hooked around another of the clips (I shall go into my garage and look for their 'official' name :( )

Very hard to think of what would be wrong with your brakes without seeing it in person :( after the things that have already been mentioned i would personally jack up the front end and spin each wheel by hand individually to listen for a dragging noise or something out of the ordinary and then check your rears aswell :( the only other things i could think of is one of the anti squeel shims been fitted incorrectly, or a calliper sticking maybe but you say your car drives fine with no pulling or other symtoms :(

get out there on your knees with the jack fishy :P

hope you find the fault regards danny :o

oh and im not been sarcastic just to be on the safe side check the old pads against the new ones to make sure they are the same :(

A

I did that out of paranoia before I fitted them!!

I haev driven the car for 30 odd miles and it generally drives fine it's only when braking quite heavily that the sound begins

EG I'd be braking to the point where I think that if I go much further they may start to lock... I then gave it just a tiny bit more and only THEN does it happen - the first time it happened I mistook it for a locked wheel!

Shall go out and do another drive in a mo - for purely test reasons of course! :(:o

Must admit Robin I am strugaling to think of what this could be. I hope Jon is right and it just goes but can understand your concern with brakes!

Is there anyone close by with an 86ish turbo that you could put side by side and see if there is any difference?

Troy suggests that I sit tight and see if it goes once they fully bed in - give them say 1-200 miles and then worry! lol

TBH They stop better than they used to, straighter too (now they're evenly worn!) I haven't tried any very high speed stops yet to see how they cope with heat? (Not had access to private roads yet)

I checkd the part that was missing its the Anti Squeal Shim and it looks like it's suppose dot clip onto the Pad Support Plate (present)

It did squeal *a bit* for the first time, at very low speed, parking it up just now.

Glyn - I think the pic you posted was either for the rear or pre '85 car? Thanks tho :(

Troy's right.

brake.jpg

^^^ See that - thats whats on all EBC pads to stop contamination, look at how rough it is, this has to fall off 1st and why you shouldn't push the pad too hard to begin with or this coating can get so hot that it crusts up under the pad.

Grooved discs are imo much better at bedding in cos all the crap under the pad gets swept away easier meaning the pad material is fresh, might take longer on standard discs. If you're a brake man the reds do a lot better insulating the heat imo being a ceramic compound, I done some crazy braking on the way to Hethel and when I got there the discs were incredibly hot and the calipers stone cold - McDave used to use them on his rocket car.

IIRC reds also need to be kept warm to be effective though - hence why they're good for track use but not so much for road...

Although I do indeed recall how Dave drives! :o

Yeah, I noticed the break in surface on mine when I was fitting them :(