free hit
counters
Which rim / tyres? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mdw

Which rim / tyres?

I have a Stevens 88 n/a and it came on a set of se rims but I have also got a set of the originals.  Not sure which to have refurbished and new rubber fitted to.  Whilst I like the deep dish rears I also prefer the way the n/a rears fill the arch slightly more.   Any opinions on which rubber  will be easier to get hold of or run better would be appreciated. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Malcolm. Not sure where you live but my car came with the bigger tyres but I managed to get hold of the SE rims which as you say have a deeper rear dish.

The original tyres started to loose air so I decided to fit new tyres on the SE rims and they look far better, much sportier. Unfortunately the rear size is obsolete but I did some research and now have 205/50/15/V on the front and 245/50/16/V on the rear. They are NEXEN tyres and I purchased them from etyres who came out and fitted them. The fronts were £63 each and the rears £78. They seem to grip the road better as well so very pleased I changed them.

By going up or down a width I seem to have 4 options , nexen ( as fitted to mikes car) kuhmo,  bridgestone turanza er300 or Toyo proxy T1R. Does anybody have views on these makes for use on an esprit.

Edited by mdw

I have nexen N3000 on my turbo, they are not a bad tyre not top of the pile, but not bottom of the rung. I don't use the car much so top of the range tyres is pointless for me. They have good reviews from the states. They grip well. All depends on your budget. I swapped my wheels out for GT3/S4 ones, the originals were the same as yours. 

Looks like its going to be the n/a rims with 195/60/15 on front and 225/60/15 on the back with continental premium contact 2 or bridgestone turanza re300 rubber all round. The rears will make it read 1.1mph under actual speed.