free hit
counters
Esprit rear light cluster rubber foam gasket seal - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Jamie Garroch

Esprit rear light cluster rubber foam gasket seal

I just stripped all the lights off of my 1988 Esprit Turbo ready to have it wrapped and noticed a number of seals that could do with replacing.

Particularly bad are those between the rear light clusters and the body (now I know why I always ended up with loads of black bits over the bumper every time I washed it!).

I couldn't find a part at SJ Sportscars or anywhere else so does this mean I'll need to make my own and if so, anyone got any suggestions on suppliers / materials?

post-15334-0-44389100-1366571506.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would suggest that you use the car tape which has a foam backing and peel off backing. It's sticky one side, I have used this to hold the front repeater lights. You will have to trim it shape, but it should work ok.

You can buy this from any good motor factors or halfords.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Dave.  I did contact one company called Clifton Rubber about getting custom gaskets but it looks like your suggestion might be better based on their reply:

We will make one off gaskets either by hand or by water-jet cutting. We don't make metal gaskets, but we can make asbestos free and rubber gaskets. We can only confirm manufacturing capability after we see the design and know what material and its hardness you require, and to confirm that the gaskets can be made from flat stock. Moulded gaskets would be very expensive for one off's due to the tooling cost.

I would suggest that you contact the Lotus owners club to see if the gaskets you require are available, as club members may have already paid to have some of these gaskets tooled.

I did what Dave suggested with my S3 rear lights. Trims easily once stuck on with a sharp knife.

I used 2-3mm thick foam. I actually used double sided sticky which will be a bugger to ever remove but really made a nice seal

Hmmm. I think I've found the stuff to do this with. Neoprene closed cell foam structure (closed cell is very important for waterproofing), self-adhesive strip.  Available in a multitude of widths and thicknesses. Here's a 3mm thick example as suggested by slewthy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0089FCMKY

Will post back when job's done.

btw, having looked at the original stuff on the car (very compressed after 25 years of course!), I think I'll go belt and braces with the 5mm x 20mm variant.