free hit
counters
setting idle speed - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tomo

setting idle speed

Hi, have been very pleased with my car so for the last 2yrs not had to ask any questions but all good things must come to an end. This is not a complex issue (ha ha. Lotus) the idle speed has started to wander off I set it at 800/900rpm when hot then go for a drive 5 to50+miles stop and I have an idle speed of 1500rpm adjust it down then drive /stop and its back at 1500rpm or down to 500rpm so is it off with the carbs and clean them up lub the spindles or strip and rebuild other wise the car runs well, goes well just this b****d tick over

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Paul,

Before stripping down, check that the throttle cable isn't getting snagged or is starting to fray.

If you use the choke for cold starts (and there's no reason you should need to), is the lever returning at the carbs, or is this cable getting stuck too?

Also check that the carbs are in balance.

Despite engine speed, is the engine idling smoothly, or does it want to shake itself off its mounts?

Does it have air con, if so it's worth checking the throttle jack isn't playing up.

SIR PAOLO! Yes it is shaking a bit not what i would say as off the mounts but more than it did, so what next ???

Edited by tomo

You are leaking air into the system.  double check there is play in the throttle cable and the linkage is free to return to the throttle stop.  Other culpit could be cold start device not seating properly.

Failing that, could be shaft seals/bearings.  Try spraying Ezystart or similar around the carbs/linkages whilst it is idling and see if it affects running - proving an air leak. 

Another thing you could look at is the plugs, they'll tell you a lot about the mixture.

If it's too rich, it'll cause rough running especially at idle.

Check the air filter too - a blocked or dirty filter can cause this.