free hit
counters
Clutch Issues - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jammy-pop

Clutch Issues

There has been lots of discussion around clutches and gear selection issues on this forum and I have commented on some of them. I had issues with my clutch last year which is what forced my hand to remove it and find out what the issue was.

My symptoms were:

Very heavy clutch

Clutch judder at low revs in first gear when pulling off

Reverse gear crunching

Second gear crunching occasionally when changing down from third

Difficult to get into first gear which was embarrassing at traffic lights!

Clutch not releasing properly causing creep unless foot on brake

Eventually leading to clutch slip and unable to accelerate hard in 4th and 5th.

At this point I thought enough is enough and pulled the transmission. The most noticeable thing was the amount of dust everywhere in the bellhousing, it was caked everywhere. The flywheel and clutch plates were blueish due to overheating. Upon stripping the twin plate clutch, I found that the whole clutch pack was misaligned due to failure of 2 of the 3 star lock washers which hold the plates together. This had the effect of causing the clutch plates to wear unevenly and ended up causing drag on the assembly, meaning that the clutch wouldn't disengage properly.

I had flywheel skimmed, along with the intermediate plate. New Helix friction plates were fitted along with new star lock washers (5mm). The release bearing had quite a bit of wear in it so I replaced that aswell. Clutch was then refitted using an old input shaft to align. Input shaft splines then greased up along with the release bearing sleeve. Transmission went back in and hydraulics bled with fresh fluid.

Fired her up tonight with positive results. Clutch pedal firm but not half as heavy as before. No problems selecting any gears with the engine running. No crunching into reverse and nice smooth gearchanges. Not taken it out on the road yet as still a few bits to go back on, but I'm confident that I have finally sorted the issues.

I know there have been lots of people with clutch issues before me, but if anyone has any questions please ask :)

Cheers,

Steve.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well listen to me being the 'smartarse'! LOL

Lasted a few miles on the road before I got all the old symptoms back but even worse this time! Particularly embarrasing when you can't get the car into any gear unless the engine is off. Even more embarrasing when the car won't crank quick enough to fire up when in gear due to the dragging clutch!

Anyway........I ordered the rest of the clutch pack from Helix and fitted my recently purchased friction plates. Pulled the transmission and fitted the complete new clutch. Transmission back in and road tested.

I now have no clutch problems anymore. Moral of the story is don't try and do things on the cheap!

On a positive note though, I'm getting pretty slick at removing and refitting the transmission! :)

Cheers,

Steve.

Bad luck with that steve.  At least you've got it sorted in the end :)

Good man!

Really glad you have it sorted now.

Buddsy

Thanks guys!

It's amazing how much you take having a working clutch for granted :)

Steve.

I had a clutch cable fail on a Peugeot 305  once, on my way from Luton to Norfolk and it happened at the A505 / A11 T junction, I was going to try driving without a clutch bu the thought of stalling it then having to start the car in gear and do so driving out onto the A11/ Haverhill roundabout was too much.