free hit
counters
Well, the Esprit has gone - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Alan Paterson

Well, the Esprit has gone

It's the end of an era for me, folks. 12 years of Esprit ownership ended yesterday when my Esprit was picked up by the new owner. I had an email last night to say it had safely made the trip to Folkestone with no problems. Apparently, it'll be driven out to Malta in 2-3 weeks time.

Over the last 12 years, Viv and I have met some really nice people and enjoyed some great company.

When I made the films 'Esprit-Addiction for Life' and 'Club Lotus - 50 Years in the Fast Lane' I thoroughly enjoyed sharing the enthusiasm of many fellow Lotus owners. I don't think the love of the Esprit has left me quite yet, just wish we'd had the chance to see the replacement 2013 model which, as we've heard, won't be happening now.

You know those silly sods who get a bit teary eyed when they finally part company with their car?

Well, I'm one of them. I couldn't believe it!

I'll keep an eye on the forums now and again.

Best wishes

Alan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Alan,

Could you put me through to the owner in Malta?... Would love to follow this up and get him to join the forum ! 

I've actually already given the new owner the Forum details, but I'll have to leave it up to him to make contact. I should think he will after he's taken the car to Malta in about 3 weeks time.

Good luck Alan, I know it's the "wrong shape" but I'm only 5 minutes down the road from you if you want to get an Esprit fix at any time!

Thanks Colin, yours is a good looking one though. I've just been out admiring the space in my garage. I can now get to my lathe without fighting my way around the Esprit, so I might start making things again. I've taken up restoring Dinky cars. They're much smaller and cheaper than full size versions.

Hi Alan,

It was seeing your car at Castle Combe track day 11 years ago that made me think that's the car I want. Sorry to see you go and best of luck for the future.

Lotus_Esprit_Turbo_1987.JPG

Definitely stay on TLF Alan.

I am under no illusion that one day, getting in and out of the S4 is going to be just too difficult and then it will have to be on its way. Just the other day, some idiot parked right beside me even though I was in the middle of nowhere, and too close to the drivers side. I don't need to explain the difficulty of getting in to anyone that has owned an esprit. :hrhr:

Oh Alan, you will have to pop in every so often, there doesn't seem many of us original members left now.

Sorry to see you have sold your car, That's another one not to be seen on the uk roads again :(

Take care.

Wow - It's been a long time Alan. Good luck with your next auto endeavour.

Thanks again for the sills that you sold me back in 2004.  :-)

Picture002.jpg

Definitely stay on TLF Alan.

I am under no illusion that one day, getting in and out of the S4 is going to be just too difficult and then it will have to be on its way. Just the other day, some idiot parked right beside me even though I was in the middle of nowhere, and too close to the drivers side. I don't need to explain the difficulty of getting in to anyone that has owned an esprit. :hrhr:

I must admit, there were a few times when I had to get in or out of the passenger side of my S2.  Not as difficult as you might think but not elegant.

Sorry to read that you've sold yours, Alan.  I don't think Dinky toys are going to be an adequate substitute.

^^ That's a hell of a good looking car - I'd forgotten how nice the silver bottom treatment and 3/4 glass-back looked on the early S cars. So rare to find one that hasn't been changed; long term ownership of a single caring owner helped here.

It will be odd not having you around after all this time Alan, as mentioned there are not many left who have been around for the full dozen plus years the internet Esprit "movement" has existed and the early days on Yahoo (should there be a veteran's star?)

Good luck and hope you find time for another Lotus one day.

Indeed Alan, end of an era.  I was only rewatching Addiction for Life the other week.  Good to hear you have taken up restoring diecasts, I do that myself, and am currently doing a Corgi James Bond Aston for a member on here.

What prompted this decision Alan? Sorry to hear your baby has gone and MJK asked if it will be an Evora now? :) 

Mostly the lack of decent weather over the last two years contributed to my decision, Tony. Also my desire to skin my knuckles in the freezing cold waned. All the same, it still looked lovely when it was being driven away. Tell your Dad I'd love an Evora but might have to settle for a comfy Jag or Vauxhall Insignia Diesel for a while. :-)

I hope you don't live to regret it.... When I sold my S3 in 2006 I also filled up :( I ended up getting a TVR and an Elan - but they just didn't cut it for me. Ended up with the S4 last year. Even though it has cost me dearly - I LOVE IT!

Bought mine back after 4 years with someone else, I missed her so much...

that was the time when I had a ride in it IIRC Stu. on the limiter in 5th. the real reason i bought mine a year or so later. epic.