free hit
counters
The (S3) Na Appreciation thread: - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
hopo

The (S3) Na Appreciation thread:

Ive recently been discussing the S3 Na cars with various people alot recently. its good to see these cars get the attention they deserve. They do occupy strange terittory:

They dont quite have that purity of an S1/S2 with the wrap around bumpers and more matcho wheels and clearly live in the shadow of their slightly more athletic turbocharged sibling but they are truly great cars.

personally i think these cars look fantastic!

.084_zpsc5f69dd8.jpg

bloody great to drive too, they seem more sprightly than the turbo, more go kart like and ive even heard them described as elise-like. great fun to rev on the twisties!

105_zps77552e75.jpg

Post pictures and thoughts.....

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well I can only agree as an N/A owner - they have beautifully light and nimble feel... I just need to be a bit better at braking....

I think the lack of the rear spoiler makes the lines of the whole car look more sleek. I do think they look great. Love the look of the Turbos too but I think that 1 foot addition to the rear changes the look of the car quite a lot.

Buddsy  :thumbsup:

My favourite of all the Esprits... and in Ice Blue too. 

If I was ever go to own an Esprit that would be the one, best of the NA bunch technically, a little fussier than the S2 but without  the slats and skirts of the Turbo. 

Buddsy interesting re your thoughts on the lack of spolier and treatment of the rear of the car. The rear of the turbo's just dont look right to me... its the bit beneath the bumper that troublles me most:

IMG_1069.jpg

I think the turbo cars are just proportioned better. I love the skirts. It's funny though its often individual car dependant. Some just look right others don't. Usually the way they are sitting, colour coding etc...this copper turbo is up there as one of the best looking Turbos around.

Hopo I think the extra length makes the difference under the rear bumper. I don't think it looks wrong to me I have never thought about it. I think as the N/A is slightly shorter it makes the cockpit look further forward? Interesting how such a small difference can make a large impact. 

I like the how the NACA ducts run straight along the bottom.

Buddsy

Hi Hopo,

I met you and your S3 N/A at Ypres Lotus Days. I was the one with the imperial green esprit S2.2

I loved your S3. I guess our engines are the same, but your S3 has the better (turbo)chassis, my S2.2 is lighter though.

I really like the 2.2 N/A engine. It is a pleasure to rev it and drive small twisty roads.It built its power very lineair/progressive, no powerburst or scary situations, but very fluently and willing to go into higher revs.  Cant compare with the turbo, because I never drove one myself.

Greets

Geert

100_4269.jpg

100_4268.jpg

Edited by gvy

IMHO the S3 is every bit as nice as the cleaner styled S1s and S2s, just different. If anything the restyled side skirts with the little visual lip stop the S3 looking as slab sided. It's only the BBS wheels that date it for me, like the Wolfraces they were just too common on other mass production cars, it was nice the S2 had bespoke Lotus designed alloys.

As long as it has black bumpers and external trim it's winner, the later colour coded look lost a bit of definition in my eyes.

Lotus_Esprit_S3_Giugiaro.jpg

The Esprit S3 is a hugely underrated car. Love the way it looks and drives. I'll try and post some more of mine later but here's a small one of it. 

post-196-0-60265800-1366877908.jpg

Edited by Bazza 907

I've always thought the S3 was probably the best Esprit.  It's got the Giugiaro looks and the performance to match (for the time) and does not have the complication of the turbo.  The styling is better than the Turbo's which, I think, has aged.

I like them, but the turbo cars graphics stop it looking as slab sided, as the break it up when you look at it.

I love all the G Esprits. I think each variant looks great and as soon as I could afford a "classic" car there was only ever going to be one choice.

I quickly homed in on the Turbo Esprit, mainly because I saw it as the fully formed version of what was started 4 or 5 years before, but I must admit I wish I paid more attention to the S3 NA at the time. I agree, I think it is an overlooked variant and from my point of view it was because I thought it a bit too tame aginst it's turbo sibling, so it's really interesting to see the comments about how great to drive and sprightly it is. Like I said before though, I love em all!

On the basis I'm getting interested in the N/a and have never driven an S3 (used to own an S2) I request this thread be locked to save me money and space.

Trevor.

Trevor, come on over to the dark side...

post-196-0-29427600-1367014882.jpg

Edited by Bazza 907

i've never been a fan of light met blue on cars but I think the s3 looks stunning in that colour :thumbsup:   Hardly relevant I know but I just got home from the pub :D 

Interesting chat what do i doooooo I have just collected my late NA from the paint shop. whilst it was in there i looked on E bay big mistake and bought a 82 turbo a little tatty but i have it running nice now. although i haven't put it on the road  it will fly through the mot though. So the thing is which one do i keep.  andy b

Simple, both :thumbup:

My S3 between lakes Vyrnwy and Bala. Great scenery if a little scary if you meet another car!

Flare in the bottom right is because I am still learning with GIMP. More views soon from this trip.

espritgimp2_zpsdaec970e.jpg

Edited by slewthy