free hit
counters
Lotus's Website - WTF? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Moxie

Lotus's Website - WTF?

While I truly appreciate and respect Aslam's stated policy of not releasing any info until something is really ready to go (he told me so to my face), what's coming across as a media blackout has got to stop. Something has got to be said about management, strategic plan, 5-year goals...whatever you want to call it. So when I just saw this I wanted to reach out to Hethel through my monitor and strangle someone because this qualifies as Class A Bantam League and sends nothing but a bad signal, i.e., there's no team and no one in charge (click for larger)...

Lotus%20Screen%20Shot%202013-04-24%20at%

Paging Patrick Peal...Paging Patrick Peal...help required on the top floor, STAT! Proceed immediately to the Active Suspension Turbo and up the spiral staircase, armed with grenades to break down any  and all barriers, real and virtual, as required. 

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I dont know what you are saying? Is it because you are in USA you can't access the page properly? It works quite well for me?

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Not quite. They at least have a geo-locating redirect based on user IP if you simply type in lotuscars.com (which from here will take me to the US site and shows Zimmerman, Coco, and James), but if you do a Google search for "lotus cars" you get this...

post-6978-0-56128600-1366836375.jpg

...which if you click it short-circuits the geo-redirect and takes you to the UK site, so having that "permissions" lockout is not helpful. But say I'm a journalist or potential buyer who's heard all these horror stories and misinformation/lack of information and I intentionally go to the UK site to see what in fact is going on with the company, straight from the source, so to speak...I get no management unless I'm using a UK IP address? Ridiculous.

Works here in Aus Matt.

http://www.lotuscars.com/au/about-us/management

Mind you, I had to type in management. It is not an option on the About Us links.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

If I click the address with the "/managment" I get the same as you...I think that part of the site is being updated? Even if I follow the link to go to that section. I would just check back in a couple of days or email them? Maybe its just an error?

Buddsy

That's the same here Buddsy. Management is not an option. Factory is, as you have said.

They should show a management page though, as it helps to instill confidence that the company is at least being looked after by someone. If you have names to google, a prospective buyer will at least see that there are people with credibility there.

No?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Works here in Aus Matt.

http://www.lotuscars.com/au/about-us/management

Mind you, I had to type in management. It is not an option on the About Us links.

That's because you're accessing the AU version from an AU IP address. Try the motherland version and see what you get -- http://www.lotuscars.com/gb/about-us/management

If I click the address with the "/managment" I get the same as you...I think that part of the site is being updated? Even if I follow the link to go to that section. I would just check back in a couple of days or email them? Maybe its just an error?

Buddsy

It's still down for me, so I doubt it's a server upgrade/update.

That's the same here Buddsy. Management is not an option. Factory is, as you have said.

They should show a management page though, as it helps to instill confidence that the company is at least being looked after by someone. If you have names to google, a prospective buyer will at least see that there are people with credibility there.

No?

Yes! Put another way, unless I'm way off base, I'm talking about the same page Bibs has even monitored and posted about when there's been a "letting go" like Bahar's manservant. You get to it here:

post-6978-0-08098800-1366847926.jpg

Then click "MANAGEMENT" on the right grey sidebar. 

By the way...Zimmerman and Coco are still listed on the US site, but I thought Zimmerman at least had split, no?

I've got some down time so just direct any management questions my way...  :smoke:

I think it's fast enough…maybe

Thank you all for your comments on this topic.  I look after the Lotus Cars website and content.

In this particular case, the Management page was supposed to have been removed from the website a few weeks ago, and clearly it wasn't checked properly afterwards, as it was appearing as "not authorised" on the UK version of the page and untouched on other versions.  It was simply an error.  Not all the steps had been completed when removing the page from the website.

The reason for the removal of the page was simply because the content was no longer up to date and we did not have any photos, biographies or interviews to replace it.

I have removed the page completely now and also links to it from the "About Us" menu in the grey right-hand column.

Thanks.

Richard thanks for taking the time to address this for us all here. Always good to hear this stuff straight from the horses mouth to avoid notions of conspiracies etc.

Buddsy

Hi Richard,

Don't know if you want to make a friendly mention to the powers that be that some of us would really like to know what is going on.

Thanks. :)

Thank you all for your comments on this topic.  I look after the Lotus Cars website and content.

The reason for the removal of the page was simply because the content was no longer up to date and we did not have any photos, biographies or interviews to replace it.

Having been involved in web development/redevelopment extensively in the past, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the decision to delete the management page probably wasn't yours, since webmeisters are inclined to provide as much content as possible, and that it came from above. Actually, I find the deletion of the management page of an iconic automaker rumored to be having difficulties to be fairly mind-boggling and depressing. Forgetting about bios and headshots, couldn't they just agree to put up a simple list of names/titles, or a simple org chart? The lack of even that implies that there is no meaningful management team, which is even more depressing. 

I think management (whoever they are) really need to cut the crap and answer the basic question that it seems like everyone's been wondering--owners, journalists, dealers--i.e., who's running things and where is Lotus going?! Dunno, but the takeaway for me is that Lotus has a solid internal PR group with people like you, Alaistair, etc., who know all the ins and outs, but management that isn't getting any objective outside strategic input, and if they are, it's all being kept in a lockbox, which isn't any use. And I don't mean the kind of asinine "strategic" input from the likes of Swizz Beatz, rather from someone who knows the company and can still be objective, but I won't bother repeating my first post on that score.

Well said Moxie... 

You're 100% right, all we want is an answer to a BASIC question, no industrial secrets, no financial reports, just what's going on! 

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Richard runs the Lotus website & associated digital media chaps. These questions need to be directed to the snr management aka Aslam as he's the only person in Hethel with the answers from his Malaysian bosses.

Write to him, although my guess would be that he'll communicate that they only announce product when it's ready for the market. That said, if enough people get in touch asking what's going on, perhaps it will help give him an idea that people are worried/wondering about the future of Lotus. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

That said, if enough people get in touch asking what's going on, perhaps it will help give him an idea that people are worried/wondering about the future of Lotus. 

A stronger version might be that some people will not commit to purchase any new Lotus product until they know that a) there is a future and, b) it is one they want, and can afford, to be part of.  And that some of those currently with orders for, e.g. the Exige V6, are feeling distinctly uneasy.  Understanding, toleration and brand loyalty can only go so far and Lotus has gone that far.

Production is flowing reasonably well - it is rumoured - but I wonder whether the queue of orders is being maintained?  According to the reviews there is serious competition building, including some with characteristics that traditionally have been strengths of Lotus. Something broadly comparable and distinctly cheaper being clearly quicker around a track than "the faster accelerating Evora"? That's not good to read.

Edited by mdavies

Very true... that's 100% where I find myself right now.

In fact I've already approached another manufacture and 'expressed an interest' in their next model ahead of the time a deposit would be required.

To put it another way... that's almost certainly a lost Esprit sale because I've all but lost faith in Lotus as a company. It's not all bad news, after sales courtesy of B&C is exceptional and I've no qualms about the ownership experience. The problem for me lies with the continued silence of DRB.

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

although my guess would be that he'll communicate that they only announce product when it's ready for the market. That said, if enough people get in touch asking what's going on, perhaps it will help give him an idea that people are worried/wondering about the future of Lotus. 

I guess I look at it a bit differently. I'm more interested in hearing something fundamentally proactive--or maybe I should just say fundamental--regarding management before product or strategic/5-year plan.

Anyway, I see defections as per below and unease building all-around, so why not either start a TLF petition or ask Richard to kindly print this thread and run it up the flagpole?

It's not his job to, honestly. As I said, Richard is the website and digital media manager, 'tis all. He's also a good friend so I pointed this thread out to him earlier and he's fixed the issue and said thanks. I'm sure he's busy doing his job, other website and digital media stuff right now.

Is anyone going to be proactive and contact the COO themselves to ask what's going on? I'd be interested to see a response, if any.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

I, for one am very happy for my comment above to be passed on.  In fact, please do.

Or, Bibs, how about a thread where those that wish to may post their comments specifically to be passed to Lotus, by you.  I suggest by you, both for the obvious reason, but also that you could invigilate the comments and advise rephrasing of any that you felt were not suitable for expressing serious concern by responsible people.  You might add that they are from people who have demonstrated a long-standing interest in and support of Lotus by their involvements here.

Edited by mdavies

I'd be happy to do that.

Let me just check if Lotus would have any interest in replying before we all waste any time with it though...

Evora NA

Good luck with that! 

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

Stirling,

I saw your original comment and refer you to this: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/lamborghini-unveils-giugiaro-designed-nitro-tractor-video-55584.html

- Mat

Ha... I thought better of it!  :smoke:

Lambo go back to their roots eh? 

I'd be happy to do that.

Let me just check if Lotus would have any interest in replying before we all waste any time with it though...

If it's not a waste, I hereby volunteer to draft a letter for virtual signature by any here who want to add their names. 

If that doesn't work. I'll write a scathing critique and sign it "Frank Profera."  :smoke: 

(Besides, Frank can always blame it on the pain killers if they file a restraining order.)

Ha... I thought better of it!  :smoke:

Lambo go back to their roots eh? 

"Roots"...unintended pun?