free hit
counters
Dead battery ?short circuit - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Solarshaun

Dead battery ?short circuit

Silly me, I think I left a light on or door open and found one completely dead Evora this morning. 

I thought I'd try and resuscitate it with a cheap Argos charger, but after a few minutes the charger cut itself out. I was about to invest in a new charger, then I thought I'd just check the battery itself first...

Checking with a voltmeter, it seems the battery is essentially reading 0V across the terminals, suggesting more than just a simple drainage due to a light left on. I think there might be a short somewhere. 

Anyway, I've since coughed up for eTyres to come and fit a new battery at the house (a little over 90 notes, in case anyone's interested). 

I've read somewhere that Evora batteries have been replaced within a year all too frequently (possibly because of shorting). Can anyone shed any light on this? A quick search of this forum bore little fruit.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have had mine replaced along with a few other fellow owners I know on the other forum.

It's impossible to determine what the prevalence is for this problem based on such a small sampling. I do believe the stock Varta isn't a very good battery to begin with but I don't know if that's an accurate statement, nor is the presumption some of us have made that the Evora has a higher than usual draw on the battery at rest. (No one has gotten around to actually measuring the load on the battery.)

Anyway one theory I have is that many of our batteries have become damaged from being overdrawn during extended repair visits. I don't know what the procedures are if there are any to ensure this doesn't happen to a customer's battery but it's definitely a possibility.

My battery was replaced with an Interstate MTP-91 battery and it has fared better after two days sitting idle although startup is still noticeably weak. I live in a warm climate too (Southern California) so I imagine in very cold climates there really wouldn't be enough cranking power to start the car after 2-3 days of non-use.

I have had my battery replaced just short of 3 years old in latest car.  I was basically told the good old TADTS and I was lucky to get 3 years out of it. Many failing before this. As the car was going in for a service and MOT anyway the dealer fitted a Bosch with a 3 year warranty so hopefully okay for next 3 years.

My useage is a little different in that I work offshore working 3 weeks on/off and car is left garaged on a trickle charger in the boot socket that is set up on a simple timer adaptor plug and I have it giving an hour morning and night.  Usually no problem on coming home but the time it failed it was like yours.  Although taken out and charged up on a bench with a proper charger and started the car fine and went for a run etc. it didn't even last an overnight sitting in the drive before flat again.  When it dies, it really dies!  :nuke:

Would it be better off left turned permanently on Al? I've never seen charger instructions suggest an hour a couple of times a day so assume that's not how they are designed to be used. The manufacturers expect them to be on 24/7 so that's how they work best.

I think you guys are right, it was just so severely drained, it behaved like a short. New battery working fine for now. Pain in the arse having to re-set everything. I've read on The Other forum about changing the interior bulbs to LEDs. Has anyone here done this? How easy/ or not is it? Squid, your comments on prolonged/ frequent repairs is food for thought. Mine is due to go in for the umpteenth time this year for some cosmetic work and front bushings... Another thing: in case anyone was ignorant about this (like yours truly), the Evora comes with only 2 years Lotus assist, despite having a 3 year warranty. Guess how I found that out.

Would it be better off left turned permanently on Al? I've never seen charger instructions suggest an hour a couple of times a day so assume that's not how they are designed to be used. The manufacturers expect them to be on 24/7 so that's how they work best.

Well I used to do that! 

It is a Porsche unit I had for my Boxster S that was left on charge permanently.  The unit itself I have seen packaged as a Ferrari and Audi one so an off the shelf conditioner type thing that gets badged and then sold at stupid prices depening on the badge! 

However I was told by Aftersales/Service Manager Craig at MMC that I was cooking the battery and it would be better to cycle it a bit more hence why I used the timer adaptor so a bit more like running the car and leaving it for a while.  Who knows?  All I know is it is better than nothing as most cars I've owned over the years have suffered with my job leaving them sitting for usually 4 weeks at a time. Not just the batteries but brakes and clutches as well.   It sounds like I was getting as much or maybe even a bit more out of my battery as most do so it doesn't sound like it was harming its life.  I was also a little surprised to find out the 3 year warranty didn't cover the battery but then I've never had to look that closely at a warranty before as none have ever failed inside one!

if you want to change out all the bulbs to LED, you'll need eight bulbs--six 42mm bulbs for interior and trunk, and two 37mm bulbs for the license plate lights.  I bought mine all from Amazon.

6 x 42mm High Power 6 SMD LED Festoon Dome Bulb White 12 Volt DC 2 x 37mm High Power 6 SMD LED Festoon Dome Bulb White 12 Volt DC

41G7rbJuilL._SX300_.jpg

To avoid battery issues, I recommend you buy a deep cycle battery.. These are designed to be drained repeatedly without damage.  They are more expensive but worth the peace of mind.   If you want to go light weight, a few owners have used the 36AH Shorai LiFEP04 lightweight batteries with success. 

I know my battery went flat after being at Willowbrae Coachworks for some work, I guess with them leaving various doors etc open (not sure why as it was a nurfed front bumper they were fixing). I think they only had the car for a few days as well.

I have, since becoming aware of that, made sure I take my conditioner/charger with me if away from home... just in case. It seems to have been fine sitting in my parents' garage for a couple of days, but I don't think I'd like to leave it much longer than that. 

Normally mine sits on a CTEK conditioner and it doesn't seem to have done the battery any harm I have to say. My understanding is that conditioners are OK for continual connection, but trickle are not. Used conditioners on my bike and S2000 for years without problem.

I live in a warm climate too (Southern California) so I imagine in very cold climates there really wouldn't be enough cranking power to start the car after 2-3 days of non-use.

Something wrong here, mine starts up after 2-3 weeks...

I've measured the draw on my S, which was 270mA im not sure if that included the boot lamp on or not though but even still not a massive amount, keep this in mind when choosing a trickle charger, 500mA minimum, mines just a cheap unit bought from halfords but it works great.

trickle chargers and conditioners are both fine for any length of time, the battery will only take what it needs at the voltage supplied by the trickle/conditioner which is normally 13.8v for a 6 cell lead acid battery, the only time it can damage the battery is by over charging which means operating over 13.8V for prolonged periods, giveaway for this is the battery bulges at the sides, or you can see acid discharge around the top of the battery (white powder or staining) otherwise it can sit there for years if needs be, most house alarms have a lead acid battery inside designed to take over in the event of a power cut. these are left on charge 24/7 and changed every 5 years or so.

ive had the pleasure of replacing my Varta, which comes with a 1 year warranty, i don't think its the brand of battery just more the usage of the car tends to be less especially when the weather isn't so nice, i don't think daily drivers have many problems.

I managed to drain my new varta down to 1V last week by leaving the light on (doh), took 2 days to charge back up again but shes okay now!. dead short batteries 0V are recoverable as long as they aren't left in that state for too long, and your charger has the legs.

i think any battery warranty will not cover deep discharge as this kills all lead batteries within a week or less they can tell at the factory and wont give you your money back.

now you all know what i do with my free time haha!

I look after a bunch of boats and jetskis over winter periods.. very exciting job!

I've measured the draw on my S, which was 270mA im not sure if that included the boot lamp on or not though but even still not a massive amount

270mA is huge. If our manuals say the car will sit idle for over 4 weeks @ 27-32mA, then a 270mA draw would seem to support my assertion that the battery will be weakened after only a few days.

Per the Lotus Evora Service Notes:

Quiescent Drain

With a fully charged battery, a car with no aftermarket electrical equipment fitted, all electrics switched off, and the alarm system either armed or disarmed, will have a quiescent current drain of between 27 - 32 mA dependent on audio and sat. nav. options. Under normal conditions, this should allow a park period of over four weeks before starting difficulties may be encountered. If current drain is found to significantly exceed specification, the cause must be established by isolating components (e.g. at fusebox) and rectifying faults as necessary.

Edited by Squidward