free hit
counters
Fuel smell on hard acceleration - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
rowge

Fuel smell on hard acceleration

Had my SE on the road for 4 days, just had 4 wheel,alignment checked was all ok apart from tracking, driving home stopped for some more fuel, walking back from paying noticed a large puddle of oil at the front of car drivers side, oil cooler leaking, managed to get home ok, oil level dropped from max to min in a few miles, made a lovely oil line on the road, drive, garage floor. Also speedo stopped working, had a look and found the end of the inner cable still in the gearbox drive when I removed the outer, anyway enough rambling, my main worry is the bad fuel smell I get under hard acceleration, I don't have any smell during normal driving but when i use the power the smell is bad, i have had a good look but cannot find any leaks any ideas how to track this down, as I am worried about this?

Cheers

Steve

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Steve.

Have you checked, replaced the tank to tank breather pipe that runs above the rear window in the engine bay? This is the usual cause of fuel smells if there is no apparent leak. Its an easy fix and there are plenty of threads about it on here.

Nick

Hi Nick

Yes replaced breather pipe, also fuel pump assembly in the tank, new fuel filter, checked fuel pipes, all seem ok, it is only when I accelerate hard that I get an instant smell of fuel, this goes quickly if I drive steady but returns if I enjoy the car again

Bit of a worry though,

Cheers steve

Checked the pipe from the charcoal canister to the one way valve seems ok, cannot blow through the one way valve towards the canister but can blow towards inlet manifold, warmed engine fully and removed the rh tank cover to check fuel pump etc, led across the engine with torch and reved to 4000rpm then blips to max rpm, no leaks found, starting to think maybe the fuel sloshing around in the tank when I accelerate hard? Tightened alternator belt as it was squealing, rear speedo cable where it joins the front cable has lost it's outer sheath, the benefit as i am still led on top of chargecooler was if I turn the inner cable the speedo moves, so only new rear cable required, bought a hose from Bristol hose 5/8 BSP two male ends 10 inches long, to temporarily replace my offside oil cooler, took car out today oil temp same as before.