free hit
counters
Evora vs Elise, at Castle Combe - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
m1lum

Evora vs Elise, at Castle Combe

So, just back from my first track day in the Evora, and can provide an element of comparison to last year (similar conditions) when I had an S2 111S Elise.

The Elise was on R888 track rubber, had Nitron suspension and uprated brakes.

The Evora is standard and on road tyres.

Took a bit of getting used to, the Evora moves around a bit more, probably because of the tyres, but was so stable, especially in the wet sessions.

http://youtu.be/aSWjZe3-HDU

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Interesting comparison. Which was more fun?

More fun?, good question !

The Elise is a third of the value, so I think I took more risks with it. But aurally, the Evora just puts a smile on your face. It was great to continue accelerating way past where the Elise ran out of puff and I think with a bit more track time I'll be pushing the Evora just as much and may even press the traction control button !

Goodwood next saturday, so looking forward to that.

What's it like being inside vs. with the roof off? I've not tracked a car for a long time that had a roof and always thought it added to the excitement.

Agree, you do lose some of the spacial experience, but its a real bonus when the rain is hammering down.!

Good pedalling and some clever editing there.  Looks like 2-3s per lap quicker in the Evora, which is about the same difference as between my Evora S and my old Elise SC round Goodwood.

A nice video. How was the tyre wear? (And your approx number of laps?) I was impressed by the "still far from finished" state of the (wider) Evora S tyres that a Lotus test driver had been taking around Silverstone pretty hard for much of the day for passenger rides a few weeks ago. But I was only there late pm, so perhaps it was the second or third set......

I did about 65 - 70 laps, of which 15-20 were in wet conditions. I would say tyre wear was negligible. Certainly no shoulder or tyre wall damage, but I wasn't pushing too hard. May give you more info on that after Goodwood.

Here is the Evora footage only. (GoPro stuck to dash)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEmmvAMEOF8

Edited by m1lum

looks like a lot of fun. the Evora is so good on a track :)

Chapter Two

At Goodwood yesterday, due to noise issues, I was limited to 4500 rpm, which meant the lap was effectively run in 4th gear, apart from the Lavant hairpin and the finish straight chicane.  Despite that, an almost identical lap time to a full on Elise effort (last year).

This demonstrates, to me at least, the huge advantage of the Evora.  Effortless performance.

Interesting Terry.  I knew you'd had a "noise star" in the morning but didn't realise you'd had a rev limit imposed.  I assume it was well within the static limit but just a problem on drive by - how far over was it? 

Still looks like a decent lap at about 1.38-1.39 which was what I was doing in the S in September on my first Evora outing at Goodwood.  Not had a chance to grab times off my videos from Saturday yet but it felt quicker than September and I know I was hitting 140mph at the end of Lavant where you look like you're getting 130ish.  The amazing brakes on the Evora meant I was making significant ground on other people by being able to brake much later into Woodcote.

No Tom, I was measured at 103db static and was only let through if I promised the 4500 limit. Unfortunately, enthusiasm got the better of me and I took St Mary's in 3rd and I was pulled straight in with the black flag. Weird thing is it was measured at 94db last week at Combe.

Anyway, I know how careful they have to be at Goodwood so no complaints from me.

What exhaust are you using. Sure it's not the OEM set up, right?