free hit
counters
MikieP's Esprit thread (Split from manifold topic) - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
MikieP

MikieP's Esprit thread (Split from manifold topic)

Very pleased to hear from those purchasers having positive results. Warms my heart that I did the right thing in getting one as well, however, my mechanic, Jaime Goffaux of the defunct Yesteryear Motors here in Maryland, with a BBB rating of F, has not touched my car in a year even though I keep purchasing prime parts from JAE and buys like this. When turned over to him of February 2, 2012, he promised it would be ready on or around 3-15-2012. Ergo, I can not make comments on the manifold performance and may never have the pleasure. Wish there were someone else to do the rebuild. New W/C turbo, head work done, rings, belts, LSD, silicone hoses, etc. all sitting on his floor wasting away with car outside in weather rotting away. Going to get drink now.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Put Sparky on a plane, he'll have that wrapped up in a weekend :)

I would certainly entertain the idea, provide room and board, ticket, but have no covered area to work in and everything is in pieces, engine bay empty, etc.

That's luxury compared to what conditions he usually works in :)

Mike, if you search the forums I'm sure you'll find a picture or two of Sparky's driveway where he works his magic. It's as exposed to the elements as any other driveway in the world and the surface of your driveway compares quite favourably as far as I can tell from looking at your avatar!

Someone point me to this miracle worker, please. Sent him a PM.

Edited by MikieP

You know I'm a sucker for this kind of lunacy.  A few planets need to align for this to happen, but we'll shortly be in discussion...

Well, a lot of planets actually.

That made me chuckle!

Sparky, I'm quite sure if you line Uranus up with the earth with Mars over your right shoulder early in the morning, you can make it happen. :hrhr:

MikieP, if it were me, go and get your bits and get them into a storage unit and sue the backside off this guy!

ramjet,

Thought about this tack probably a hundred times, at least every time I see a yellow car on the road as I drive around. How would I know I have it all? Engine is a bare block right now, or, I was shown a bare block. The bottom end was never discussed as going down to that level by the way, just the head work was discussed. Must be a thousand parts at this point.

I think the only thing you can do, Mikie, is demand it all back and then do an inventory against parts lists.  Maybe that's a good start for a visit?

Any mileage in making this public through Lotus Talk?

Sparky,

You are of course correct. I have all but demanded a proper, simple invoice stating what I would be making payment for so I could make payment for what has been truly yet perhaps not authorized, accomplished and can not even get that from him - over two months now. Certainly makes me quite fearful of being yet more aggressive and not getting critical, no longer available parts back or even maliciously broken bits. etc. Pitiful position to find myself in. Jeff at JAE suggested I email this guy McGovern hinting around the problem but I fear malicious outcomes from that as well. This guy is quite qualified to do what he said he would do, just won't do it. As to Lotus Talk, don't know how to implement that one there, but certainly would make the effort. At one point like six months ago, I said something wrong by complaining it had been almost a year with no progress and he told me he would dump the entire thing onto my driveway. Suppose I should have accepted failure at that point and moved on somehow. NIGHTMARE Would almost rather have blown a cam belt as at least I would know how to proceed.

MikieP

Edited by MikieP

Can't you turn up with a van, trailer and some thugs the Police and take your stuff back? Is it not theft in the USA if he won't give it to you if you ask for it?

Anyway, I'll pull this into another thread shortly, this one is for exhaust manifolds...

Agreed, Bibs, this one should have its own thread.  I'd definitely start on Lotus Talk and maybe try McGovern - he seems to be an influential guy.  

Bibs,

I agree, and am fully embarrassed to have taken the thread waaaaay off topic. Truly do wish I had input to this thread about the impact of the manifold to my car's performance but it too, is in his hands now.

Yes, suppose it is, but the gendarmes around here have far more icky stuff to deal with and might find this issue something to laugh at rather than actually deal with. He is never at his shop when I try to visit so that might be tricky; car is outside in a locked fenced area and that might be obtainable with bolt cutters and couple of folks to push it out, but all else inside his shop.

Sparky,

Much thanks for now.

MikieP

Edited by MikieP

:thumbup:

After being in the restoration trade for 25+ years, i have heard this 

sort of thing many times. It is always sad as the customer is usually 

the looser in the end. This is from a time and money prospective.

There are many reasons why it occurs but the results all the same..

My best advise is to recover all your parts as soon as possible without

generating any ill feeling.. Keep things quiet and calm  as possible.

Surprise and numbers usually are best.. Just turn up with a trailer and

collect the lot... If money is demanded pay by credit card then make a claim

with the credit card company later.. Or just pay to release your property..

You can name and shame later..

I have recovered and finished many repairs and restorations for clients over

the years, its not easy but very possible ..It does not have to get nasty, just 

professional.. Find the right people and get it done..   

If you were in the UK there would be no issue we would sort it for you ..

However in the US it may be different so tread carefully..

I wish you all the best with this and will follow with interest..

Dave.. 

You don't have to assassinate the guy's character, just go on Lotus Talk and give an objective account of your plight, and see what the response is...

MikieP,

Are you a member of a Lotus club in your area?  Once you get your parts, I would suggest getting a bunch of club members over for a rebuilding party.  Give them food and beer, let the knowledgeable ones lead, and the ones who want to learn can help and learn.

Travis,

Did not know there was one around here... Going on Lotus Talk and presenting my dilemma might possibly bring on much worse trouble - getting a designed to fail rebuild perhaps? A clean parts get away would be ideal but the thought is quite staggering trying to account for all the bits for the head, the engine and its associated parts such as coolant tank, A/C, etc. Just do not think it would be possible even if I could get his assent to do so. I can change oil, charge A/C, but put a head together, not.

All,

He is never at the shop when I try to drop by. He does not reply to calls, SMS messages or anything else. He calls once every month or two, "Oh how the time has flown by, give me $5000 for the hellofit and will start work up again. How do I account for every part of the car, every part of the engine, the transmission, etc. even if I could get his attention to show up? My understanding is that it is all out of the car and completely torn down in pieces. The idea of Sparky visiting was an immediate panacea, but opening up the recovery part of the plan completely fails me. Police are very unlikely source of intimidation and I have no big people as friends enough to stand in his doorway for hours while I compare service manual parts pages to boxes of metal. Guess I will assume responsibility for believing the fellow and eat it. Anyone need a complete shell? I can cut the fence lock and get at that anyway. Supposed all new bushings and shocks. It's giallo yellow repaint from original black by previous owner. Tranny is supposedly done with LSD ready for mating on a bench. Turbo kit with ECU and injectors in a box on the floor in his office. Not certain it really is a W/C kit though as I have never seen an invoice from him for it although I did give him $3K for it. JAE Silicone hose kit probably at hand as well. And of course, the beautiful manifold from Alunox. These I can probably extract given the alignment of the requisite planets spoken of earlier, but the engine and head are just sitting devoid of their parts. Any offers? Gonna go to bed. Really, really tired of feeling so so shitty about this situation for so so long.

Thank you Bibs, thank you Travis, thank you Sparky (especially) for bringing a few brief moments of relief to my despair over the loss of my baby.

MikieP

Do the Police not HAVE to do something if you report it? I know they have better things to do, but theft and not releasing your property is fairly serious.

if nothing else, you could arrange to meet the Police there with a trailer and get them to insist he releases all and every part to you. At least you get it all back, even if you are several thousand out of pocket. Then a trip to the courts and file a claim for the monies against some trades description act (as it is here, not sure what it is there).

Agree with Kimbers.

At present you have nothing, except bills. At least you would have a jigsaw for Sparky to put together, and then something to show for the bills. Don't pay out more money to him, just keeping you on the hook.

A bird in the hand etc

MikieP,

There is a local D.C. chapter of Lotus LTD

http://www.lotuscarclub.org/localchapters.php

I suggest getting in touch, joining the club.  The clubs are a great resource of knowledgeable owners.  My local club has gotten together to help local members and Lotus owning travelers passing through from all over the world.

We did a timing belt day, where I did 2 timing belt changes for 2 89 Esprit owners who couldn't do the work themselves, or didn't know how, and others showed up to learn how to do theirs.

Forgot to mention that I had a friend who loaned the owner of this particular shop some parts from his car, which were never returned after years... so he was in MD on business and showed up at the shop to reclaim his parts.

I would first go to a magestrate and sue his ass in court, then go get a couple of sherrifs and a tow truck and go get it.  I could build it faster than that guy, and I am old...

Had a paint shop screw me on a 928 paint job a few years back, they kept it four years without finishing it, had part of the glass broke out, and destroyed over $2000 in new interior work.  They got two computers + cash for the deal, upfront, that was never recovered.  the owner was a drunk, and ended up in jail for dwi...

or just pickup the engine pieces, send to lesco, have them build the engine, and this guy install it.

Good luck,

Brian