free hit
counters
UFO's Poll, What do you think? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Kimbers

UFO's Poll, What do you think?

UFO Poll  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So this news story has started me thinking about UFO's.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-22365368

When I was younger me and my brother both saw a totally unexplained UFO, it was seen by several people in our area and moved like no plane or helicopter would or even could!

With Trillions and trillions of stars even with odds of a million to 1 of life and a billion to 1 of life being more advanced than us, this means the odds are that there are other beings out there who could come visit.

But would they?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm sure 99.999% of sightings are easily explainable, i.e. weather balloons or carrier pigeons with important announcements from DRB etc... but there's a tiny few that have to be taken seriously.  :laser:

As you say with trillions of stars out there it's inconceivable, ( and rather depressing! ),  to think we're the pinnacle of life, civilisation and that entails...  :alien:

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

I think it may be arrogant to believe we are the only life form in the universe but it's big out there and it's a long way out there, but if you were coming to visit, Glasgow ? you know it's a hoax.

Look here for the Voyager link  http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/where/index.html

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

There's always the Drake Equation....(culled from Wiki)..

The Drake equation is:

92df3d5260eaca523ca8bcfd474d3aaa.png

where:

N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible (i.e. which are on our current past light cone);

and

R* = the average number of star formation per year in our galaxy

fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets

ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets

f = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point

fi = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life (civilizations)

fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space

L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

Insert whatever estimates you like for the variables and see what you come up with!! This, of course, is assuming that First Contact will be by means of radio waves...arriving in person is a bit different! Personally, judging by the way in which life is all prevalent on our planet....even the most inhospitable places have some living thing, no matter how crude it may be, I think that life will be found anywhere and everywhere that conditions exist for it. Life is unavoidable. Given that, one then has to address the problem of contact. Since we aren't going anywhere other than round and round and round and round and round with the Low Earth Orbit Blues, physical contact would have to come from elsewhere. Is it likely that any interstellar survey ship would arrive here and not even say "Hello" properly? Are we that threatening or frightful that the only contact would be made with people one could classify as "nutters".....with one or two exceptions. Disregarding the business of wormholes and warp drive beloved of the science fiction genre, to actually take a lump of tinware across interstellar distances is liable to take a very long time. The fastest space vehicle we have ever made was called "Helios 2"..using the gravitational pull of the sun, it got up to some 150,000mph. At that speed, getting the 4.3 light years to Proxima Centauri would take around 19,000 years...assuming the vehicle wasn't destroyed by some infinitesimal piece of space junk which, at that speed, would have an immense amount of energy (proportional to the square of the velocity!) 

I've seen UFOs myself, "Unidentified Flying Objects" for sure....but that doesn't mean they are extra terrestrial, just unidentified. Any little green man who happens to be passing is welcome to drop by for a beer and a chat, though......(!)

Edited by molemot

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Duggie Adams would have said it was 6 times that....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

When I was younger me and my brother both saw a totally unexplained UFO, it was seen by several people in our area and moved like no plane or helicopter would or even could!

Growing up where you did, I reckon that was the next generation James Bond Esprit.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

There's a variation on the Drake Equation used to calculate the likelihood of an official statement from DRB....

The DRB equation is:

where:
N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible (i.e. which are on our current past light cone);
and
R* = the average number of star formation per year in our galaxy
fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fℓ = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life (civilizations)
fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space.....

DRB = the length of time for the above civilisation to realise the value of good PR. 

Meanwhile... back to Barbarella...  :smoke:

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

totally unexplained UFO

Wouldn't be a UFO if it were explained no?

Just because something is unidentified doesn't mean it's extra terrestrial. If there were intelligent life out there the intelligent thing to do would not be having near misses from planes, hovering randomly over trees.

Maybe the intelligent ones are avoiding detection, but the ones hoovering randomly over trees are the less intelligent of the species?

Even extra-terrestrials must have right thicko's that have passed their inter-galaxy test and borrowed there dads ship - I reckon the thicko alien would probably be called zxarggggggg (in your primitive earth language) which roughly translates to Derek.

I've just put hoovering haven't I :lol:

Yep hands up I would be Zxarggggg.

Kent monthly meet is the first Tuesday of the month at the Nevill Bull, Birling

What I find interesting is the change in opinion since we've had a huge leap forward in detecting other planets, space telescopes etc etc.

When I were t'lad in the 70's and we had done this vote 90% would have said it was insane to think there could be life elsewhere.

Even our friend Brian Cox has said the chance of life being elsewhere is so high as to be impossible for there not to be. However, he doesn't think they would visit us because of the vastness of space. Apparantly, if we were in a the UK finding us would be like finding one specific grain of sand on one beach.

I'm not so sure because I don't think a grain of sand sends radio waves and beams messages in to the nether every second of the day!

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

It always amazes to hear the crashed UFO stories.  They navigate their "space craft" light years across the Galaxy to get here (we assume), avoid all our networks of sensor and detection capabilities (which can track minuscule space junk in orbit, and then promptly crash in some god forsaken part of the world populated by some "odd ball"  They must have a worse safety record than some of the old Chinese airlines!

On a more serious note, there's a book by Gordon Copper (one of the original 7 Mercury astronauts) in which he details some pretty convincing data on UFO sightings along with a very interesting chapter on the use of "recovered" technology.   Similar stories also exist from Edgar Mitchell and a few other Apollo guys.

There are two schools of though on supposed visits - the first compares how Columbus "discovered" the new world to aliens "discovering" Earth.   We all know how that didn't exactly work out too well for the former occupants of South America.  Other theory is they're so far advanced they've evolved past "space colonialism" and just see us as an interesting scientific destination.

To those how think the government could keep this a secret clearly have no idea of the ineptitude of government (now back to my day job reverse engineering captured alien technology ;) )

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Haha! I totally agree bud. If they were so advance to travel beyond the speed of light we would be like Ants to them...what do we do to Ants?

EEEP!

Niff.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I'm pretty sure the realistic answer to that equation would be scary to most people.

For our galaxy the answer may be 2769 planets that possess some form of life and maybe millions of planets in the universe that have beings more advanced than us.

So if that's reality...

What do we do now ?

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

I've seen "Paul",and it's a true story.

Kimbers, you haven't been probed again have you? ;)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Cmon guys. Firstly, how would these chaps, sorry aliens, know that this blue rock is inhabited, and don't say they listen to our radio stations as radio waves only travel at the same speed as light. Also, why have we not heard their radio transmissions.

2nd, According the Einstein, it would be impossible to travel these distances, especially just to visit and not make contact.100 year round trip to Alpha Centauri if we could travel at the speed of light.

Have you noticed just how many different makes and models of UFOs there are. I wonder if they change their models yearly to suit a fickle market like we do.

The other thing that has always bothered me and that is the number of UFOs that have been depicted in religious art for thousands of years. To them the sighting of a UFO was always put down to a chariot of the Gods.

I have a theory but it is a frightening one and is about parallel universes.

I agree, distance is the major issue here.

You may think its a long way down to the shops, but thats just peanuts......

'life' as we define it may be so widespread that it could be considered an undesireable thing, spoiling the purity of the universe.

Whats so special about life anyway? From a cosmological point of view, life has only polluted this planet afterall.

Re the original question, I think UFOs visiting us during our current 'enlightenment' is very unlikely in the extreme for all the reasons stated above. Lets imagine a civilisation did bother to make the journey, the odds are heavily stacked that they would arrive either before or after our race's time on earth. ie totally miss us. Infact, Earth may already have been categorised in the "A-Z of inhabited planets in your galaxy" as follows:-

Earth

Avoid. Mainly swamp, with some maurauding, sharp toothed predators and herds of large flatulent herbivores. Unlikely to change in the next 100 million years or so, barring some catastrophic event.

Mars

Now then, where to start....

Edited by slewthy

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

2nd, According the Einstein, it would be impossible to travel these distances, especially just to visit and not make contact.100 year round trip to Alpha Centauri if we could travel at the speed of light.

Einstien didn't say it was impossible to cover these distances, but he did point out the issues with doing so in the theory of relativity and special relativity. One theoretical approach to travel faster than the speed of light is the concept of "bending" space. Picture a part inflated kids balloon (representing the universe), to travel from one point in the universe to another you compress the the balloon so two sides meet with each other and then your craft slips through the join and the "bend" is released. Solves the issues with relativity and makes traversing mind blowing distances a reality. Problem is, the amount of energy required would only be available via theoretical exotic matter/dark energy which we haven't found. Other similar tech is the Alcubierre Drive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive) aka warp drive, but again same energy problem.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Isn't the feasibility of "folding" space totally possible? Like you said, the issue is the amount of energy required.

I was watching a programme about how much of the idea's in Star Trek had become reality or theoretically possible. They had a guy on who was looking at crashing matter and anti matter together to create energy. His issue was containment and the amount of Antimatter required. They also had 2 guys who are looking at teleporting. They can and have moved atoms from one place to another via teleporting. Unfortunately it takes several minutes to map the atom. Considering we are made up of an average of 7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms they calculated it would take something like billion years to map the human to teleport him.  

i think the best proof that there is intelligent life out there is that they havent tried to contact us. they just watch us from a distance like a bad reality show and wonder what wild and crazy scheme are we gonna do next week

There is also the possibility that we have made contact with them and much of our present technology has been gleaned from them.

There are many reasons why this contact would have to be kept secret, not just the mad panic that it could create but that they (the E.Ts) never went down the road of religion and that religions and a supreme being are nothing but a crutch upon which we mentally frail humans have relied on since we worshiped the sun and that the majority still believe in today even without any proof.

What about all the aliens that don't fly space ships,do they have normal jobs,do they go to the pub?

My theory is that all these erratic flying ufo's must be aliens learning to fly because there flying is shite.

What if the instructor goes to the loo,one fast change of direction and there would be shite everywhere.

Sorry you've failed sunny boy.I'll take the controls, back to the worm hole.

Lol. Just thinking of the possibility of duel controls in a flying saucer!

Better update the CV :D

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!