free hit
counters
New owner questions - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
M D E

New owner questions

Hi All,

Just bought a 1988 non turbo Esprit and had a few questions ...so please be easy on me !

1) What engine block is used in this model....eg is it just the head which is lotus ?

2) what should the oil pressure read on the dash ?

Mines reading 3.5 on tickover and nearly 5 under load

3) What's the best oil to use

4) whats the best coolant to use (and what mix) should deionized water be used

Many Thanks in advance ...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Firstly welcome to the forum mark, you will find lots of help here on the forum. I do not have your answers but give an hour so and one of the members will set you straight.

Have jyou ust bought the car, joining a local group will help, they normally meet monthly, now is a good time to join in as the sun has made an appearance so everyone is eager to go out and HOON etc.

Good luck and look forward to meeting with you at sometime.

Dave

Thanks for your welcome Dave, I hope to goto my next local meet at Waterlooville .... I just hope I have bought a good Esprit ! ..... Another Question ....

Do you need a special timing belt kit to change it ? .....?

No just a belt, some long arms and patience. I am holding a Beltfest in June one of the forums mechanical wizards "Sparky" and a team of helpers will be changing 6 or 7 timing belts, see the post "time for a belt change" and you will get the idea of what's going to happen.

It's a weekend affair BBQ, drink and Lotus talk and belt changing.

Worth changing all the belts, there is a lot of posts on ths forum that will help you, look at the thread and see if you can make it to the event.

Dave

Probably need bibs to move this topic so it has more visibility

Dave

Hi and welcome. 

It's a entirely in-house Lotus engine, all built by those fine folks up in Hethel.

The oil pressure can look alarming low at tickover (0.35 is the figure that's ok in the manual IIRC) if you've been driving with enthusiasm, this is fine and it can go right to 5 bar under load, again this is fine. 

Lotus recommend and most people use Castrol Edge Sport 10W/60.

Pink stuff. Lasts longer so corrodes less. Deionised water is always a good idea too and adjust the mixture according to the weather as you would any car.

:)

Welcome Mark.

bibs has answered all your questions which were, to be honest, prob the only technical answers I know.

It would be great to post up a hi in the "Introductions" section with some pics of your car so we can all see it.

Any specific questions look under the Esprit Technical section and you will see a Forum for individual parts of the car. We have a massive technical section with a huge amount of knowledge out there so don't be afraid to ask!!

Hi Mark,

Nice Esprit and beautiful pictures in your album.

One remark : In your album you mention Esprit S3, but this is wrong.

The S3 was the last of the giugiaro styled Esprits.

Yours is a Stevens styled Esprit : Esprit N/A ( X180), with a Lotus 912 4 cyl 2.2 litre n/a engine (same as S3) and chassis type 85 ( also same as S3)

So only the body is different (Stevens type)

Lotus made 290 Esprit N/A (X180) between 87 and 90

Your wing is not original. It is the V8 wing (1996), but it suits him well.

Geert

Edited by gvy

Many thanks for your replys and welcomes ...good job you set me straight about which model I have... (thought I knew my Esprits !) ... still worried about my high oil pressure ... dash reads 4 on tickover and 5 anything above 2000rpm... What do I need to check ... ?

Unless there's a major oil-way blocked the high oil pressure is not a problem, and if one was blocked you'd know about it by the fact the engine would be pushing bits out the block.

Thanks Andy, just checking as I hear too many worrying story's regarding oil pressures.... as l have been running in the red high pressure part for some time...

Kimbers ... Will post in the Introductions section ... seems this forum is the most helpful one ... especially for all is new owners ... !

Welcome to the forum. I would imagine that if your is an early X180 - you'll have the cable operated - opening fuel caps. Keep them lubricated a couple of times a year and they'll give you trouble free operation. Take your time - read a lot and don't cut corners.... you'll have a lot of fun. I have always found they guys here hugely helpful and supportive. One word of warning, once you have bought a Lotus - it never leaves you.... so to speak.

Thanks Paul ...I definitely need to do more home work .... Next job ... replace the Cam belt, I hear it's lots of fun to change ! Had the Lotus bug for some time but ownership is a unique experience .... loving it !

Welcome to TLF Mark. :welcome:

I noticed you got an esprit in the finest colour (but I'm biased). I wouldn't worry greatly about the oil pressure. Mines all over the place like a mad womans' hatpins as well.

I use Redline Water Wetter with distilled water. Though I don't know if that is suitable in your cooler climes.

Anyway, any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

Cambelt eh? For me - it is out of my comfort zone. I know that there is a "beltfest" going on soon - you may consider going along and get some expert help.

The only special kit is some way of checking the tension, a search under tension and frequency should do it as one way is to use a smartphone as an audio oscilloscope, however if you're doing the belt you may want to consider replacing the bearing in which case you really could do with a press r failing that a decent vice (or local engineer to press bearing off and new one on).

It's pretty much a spanner job, oh and an extra joint between your wrist and elbow would help.

And armour plating between said wrist and elbow... 

Travis did a really good, I mean REALLY good How To, if some one can direct Mark where to find it.

It's the one I used. 

If you have no history to the contrary, you might think about changing the water pump, (you don't need to be doing the belt twice)

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Thanks Andy, sounds like an afternoons work .... or maybe its a job for the wife... as she's got smaller hands than me ? ...

I'd say the high oil pressure is a sign of a decent engine. Although my car is suffering other problems since rebuild it also runs at a strong pressure up to the red line on the quage. It may be the 10/60 oil plus the graphogen still in it being run in but as long as the pressure drops back on tickover all should be fine.

Dont forget these cars are getting old and it possibly the oil sensor and guage which give a bit of a false reading.

Thanks Mike ... it could be the new oil. ..it only drops from 5 under load to 4 on the dash dial on tickover ...but if high pressure is not a problem I'll stop worrying ...

Just about to get the steering geometry checked as the tracking needs adjusting .... does anyone know the whats the best settings ? Eg toe in etc ..