free hit
counters
Straight through exhaust or not. - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bluejay

Straight through exhaust or not.

Hi guys,

I have a '98 v8 GT with a centre exit exhaust conversion. I had one made with sports cats and a silencer, and although it was a good job done,  it sounded quite tame. After a month I changed this to straight cat-back pipes and that sounded much better. In the year I've had this done, my turbos have been away getting refurbished after letting oil into the exhaust. I've now done 1700 miles since and it's happened again. Do you think the lack of back pressure with the straight through pipes have contributed to this in any way. If so, I will revert back to the old exhaust.

Look forward to any input,

James.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Turbo's don't need back pressure to function, quite the opposite. Who refurbed them and did it come with any sort of guarantee?

Yeah, one's away now getting re-done under warranty. I don't know who did them as my local Lotus guy sent them away.

I'm sure I've read somewhere on these forums that the seals often go with these performance set ups.

If you did it will be in this section, you could do a search... not something I recall myself though.

If they were both refurbed and both have failed again in a short time, why aren't they both being redone under the guarantee?

It's only one that's gone. The car performs great, it's only when hot and idling or moving slowly in traffic the exhaust starts puffing out blue smoke.

Out of interest, which turbo failed and do you park your car on the road?