free hit
counters
Hot and cold start problems - battery earth lead mod ? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
modifiedv8engines

Hot and cold start problems - battery earth lead mod ?

Starting issues as per below :

Just passed MOT test although needed jump start from slave battery to get started (hot) and this was a struggle. Used a diesel van with engine running to get fired up and this was only just possible.

Drove back home from MOT test being careful not to stall and engien runs fine, lights all good etc etc

Charged spare battery overnight, installed, starts reasonably okay but starter motor is slow. Usual 3-4 seconds cranking before firing up

15 mile run, (daytime) @ 70 ish MPH, return back to base, switch off and leave for about 5 mins. Starter slow (like discharged battery) and fails to fire.

Leave to cool for 12 hours, engine starts and then after short run, as per above........ back to base and switch off. No hot start.

Battery showing 12.6v and alternator output 14.6v with engine running, lights on, blower motor on, interior lights on etc etc.

Above tests insicate battery good, alternator good so it looks like a starter motor issue ......perhaps ?

Need to check fuel pressure and the usual pull a plug and see if there are sparks etc but gut feeling is that this issue is somethig else

Just another note - on reconnecting battery earth, headlamp pods lift and close which could be bad earth perhaps is is this normal ?

Read somewhere about a additional battery earth mod ?? and possibly injectors ?

No doubt someone has had a similar problem before so if you have, would be gratful as I dont want to pull the manifold again if I can help it

Any info would be good

Thanks in advance

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Headlamp pods lifting and closing after reconnecting the battery is normal. Sort of like a self test to confirm your battery connection.

I would start (no pun) with the simplest thing first and load test the battery. In this test, you apply a load and look for a voltage drop.

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Tool-Design-ATD-5495-Tester/dp/B000M5ZW92

Most auto parts stores that sell batteries or service stations can do this test for you. Just because the voltage is good and/or the charging voltage is good doesn't mean the battery is good under load.

Thanks for confirming the headlamp pod lift action on battery re-connect - this is all normal then and eliminates that partof the equation.

Re the battery load test Bill -

2 fully charged batteries have been used, a third battery at the garage and the diesel van (engine running @ 2000 rpm) battery and still the slow starter motor - you may be right Bill but as I said before I have a gut feeling its something else but with so many possibilities its going to be trial and error until I can get it right.

Anyone heard about the additional engine/chassis to battery earth point mod ?

Ran a jump lead from battery neg to engine and this has significantly improved the hot start situation. New leads required