free hit
counters
Hi Newbie, saved an Eclat from the crusher - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dandelph

Hi Newbie, saved an Eclat from the crusher

Hi have just saved an Eclat from the crusher though its missing many bits. like engine, gearbox a lot of the interior dash dials etc but chassis good started refitting the doors as they were just lying in the back. 

cheers Dan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well done Dan!

Where abouts in the country are you?

Hi Paul,

I am in Hartshill just North of Nuneaton. Car needs alot of TLC and would be looking at a non Lotus lump to fit as can not afford original one, thinking zetec with sierra gearbox in order not to effect the balance of the car. :)

Well done you! always better to see one being saved than lost.

I've never seen one with a zetec, which suggests it might not be that easy to squeeze it in as the nose is quite low, which is why the standard engine is a slant 4. A rover V8 is probably the easiest conversion, but anything is possible. I have seen pics of one in Germany with a pinto cosworth and there was one kicking about on ebay with a 1.8cvh recently.

The Chev V8's LT-LS also fit in, as does the Buick V6 (which is a cut down rover V8 and has been done in the US). The alloy V8's are very light and don't affect the handling as the weigh pretty much the same as the standard 907.

Welcome to TLF Dan. :welcome:

Hope it all goes well having saved it from the crusher. Maybe start up a topic in the Projects and Restorations area?

You should pop over to the Introductions thread as well and say hi in there.

Any other questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

Hi Michael, will pop over to introductions :) and get going on projects.

Hi Duncan I have looked at the v8 option but tuning was expensive compared to the zetec, height wise the v8 with carbs sits higher than the zetec. Though will double check measurements :) thought zetec was close to original being 4 pot with double over head cam. Did start seriously looking at the saab 9000 2.3 option as well but thought for longevity the zetec was more plentiful ;) 

the zetec is a popular choice amongst Lotus people (in elans), but I've never seen one fitted to an eclat/elite...it might just be that nobody has tried it, but it could be because its difficult somehow - I dunno.... I'm just musing - no real knowledge other than never having seeing one, which given how cheap and plentiful they are seems odd.

A V8 really does change the character of the car and makes it a muscular burbling 70's GT. a 4L or 4.6 makes them move quite well, and tuning parts are plentiful and cost buttons. If you do go this route, you'll need to fit a non serpentine front end.

I've also heard of people fitting Lexus 4L V8 and Jaguar 4L v8 into eclats and excels.

Older Saab 2.3T's are good, later ones are pooh (for sludging). One of my mates is faero the Saab tuner/mapper on the Saab forums and has 400+bhp at the wheels in his aero...... its like an exocet -stupidly fast. Turbo clearance is a problem on the 912 in the elite/eclat, and I'm not sure if you would have the same issue with the saab turbo....you might. Centrifugal supercharger perhaps?

i like the idea of v8 purely on the sound alone :) though when looked tuning seemed expensive which put me off. i used to have an old 900 t16s running 276 bhp at the wheels great fun, agree turbo was another concern in the eclat with space. I will remeasure the eclat for the zetec to see what the constraints are. Supercharger then again raises costs :( trying to do this on a budget lol P.s what gearbox are you running with your v8?

Just found a broken piece of plastic trim with 523 written on it looks like fits the B post. 

i know a guy how builds in a honda s2000 engine (2.4 L) inside a elite,

and a mazda rx7 enige, i have seen,

elektro engine i have seen, there is so many possible,

i also have 907 engine for sale, so if you are interested just PM me Dan,

i maby can offer your a engine,

(dashboards, interior parts, everything i also have... so we can make a good fair price of it when you also wanne buy a engine and gearbox...)

Edited by Tocus

I'm using the getrag 265, which was standard fit on the eclat series 2 and is immensely strong.

The thing about rover v8's is that ebay is choc full of 2nd hand tuning parts, from timing chains to ported heads to manifolds and carbs.

If your on a budget, you really could do a lot worse. running a carb on the rover v8 will also mean you don't need to faff around with replacing fuel pumps, hoses and fitting a swirl pot to cater for fuel injection. A good 4 barrel gives as much power as injection on RV8's at the cost of poor fuel economy, but if it is to be a weekend toy, its maybe not an issue. Using an offenhauser dual port and a holley allows you to close the bonnet (but there are other better items...)

A getrag is expensive to acquire, but the LT77 5speed rover box can also be used, or even the BW auto. Tremec's have been used in the US, but they are expensive here.

Gearing is an issue with a V8 conversion.

the final drive will be 4.1:1 or 3.73:1 which were fitted as standard. It is not easy to get a final drive more suited to a V6/V8 as the salisbury 7ha wasn't a common fitment.. There was a 3.53:1 fitted to SE4 and the first 50 SE5a's and a 3.3:1 that went into the Morgan +8. Both are now virtually unobtainable.

Edited by Dunc

Hi, well done for keeping another one alive.

As Dunc points out there are lots of options for the engine, but a carb rover V8 I think will be the cheapest way, lots of people have done it, I considered the rover V8 for my eclat but went with the Toyota (Lexus)  1UZ because I was already putting an excel chassis in as an "upgrade" so had a Toyota W58 gearbox to hook up to.

I was told to get the auto bellhousing from a Rover saloon (not the SD1 but the older sort - P6 maybe?) and make a spacer plate. I had some correspondence with a guy that was doing one, and he sent me an autocad template for the adaptor spacer. I might have it on my computer somewhere.

I've also heard that the Triumph TR8 has the same salisbury diff but in a more suitable ratio for the V8 if you can fid one of those. This is just what I've heard so don't treat it as gospel(!) But worth looking into.

Good luck with it whichever way you end up going with it.

Cheers, Mat.

I've heard that about the TR8 as well, but it doesn't fit into a 7HA. It's an urban myth I'm afraid.. :-(

It is a salisbury diff, but not the right one. BL were big customers for salisbury. I believe the TR8 axle crown wheel and pinion is interchangeable with that of the rover SD1, but they don't fit our cars unfortunately.

Edited by Dunc

Lucky for me toyota supra LSD diffs are available in a couple of ratios for the Excel, and there are lots of different ratios of TRD LSD diffs available, althoughhideously expensive.

Just need to actually drive the car before deciding what ratio to go for. The 1UZ revs as high as a 907, but has much more torque so may well suit taller final drive.

Mat.

Go for as long legs as you can. Although your V8 will spin happily to 7K rpm, your fueling 8 cylinders on cruise rather than 4 and running much higher RPM than you need to which gets a bit frenetic at 90+.

5th should be your cruising gear, you've got loads of torque so you don't need 1-4 to be that short.

Theres a jensen healey engine on ebay at the moment for 99p which could be a v cheap alternative!

Good luck

Phil

Hi Guys, cheers for all the replies will be having serious look at all the options :) at moment trying to get doors etc attached and clean tidy the in side out so can see what I am missing. Alfa v6 would be lovely but no gearbox to easily fit :( 

Do a google search on "Belchamber eclat"

Lots of good info on which boxes fit easily into the chassis without cutting.

D