free hit
counters
Eclat brake problems 1981 S2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Loose Cannon

Eclat brake problems 1981 S2

Can anyone help diagnose a brake problem. On the last 2 journeys (several weeks apart) within 4 miles of setting off the car has ground to a halt with BOTH front brakes binding. Each side feels as hot as each other which makes me suspicious about the master cylinder. This was a new item from Lotusbits, not re-conditioned.

Am I on the right lines here? Is there any other factor in the  3-line braking systems which could cause this? Both times I have sat and let them cool down completely then carried on as normal.

All braking elements are new front to rear; calipers, braided lines, rear cylinders, master cylinder etc. Someone suggested the servo, but I always thought if that failed the brakes would come off and pedal effort increase?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Flexi pipes braking down can cause this symptom.

Master cylinder would be my number 1 suspect however, especially when everything is new.

D

Master cylinder, flexis, everything is new at great expense. This shouldn't be a problem :realmad:

If it turns out to be the master cylinder I don't know if I have any redress to Lotusbits, the car has done about 50 miles but it was fitted over a year ago...

Do you have a schematic of the brake system and the master cylinder that you can post up?

It could be the servo pumping the brakes up, the fronts are more effective and would therefore lock up first. When you stop the air would slowly release from the servo and release the brakes.

I would take it for a drive and when it locks up, stop release the servo hose and see if the brakes release immediately.

Hi,

That's strange with all new parts - how are the brakes before they bind? Do they work ok and release ok? Does the pedal feel normal? With cold brakes, have you tried jacking up and turning a wheel (calipers shouldn't be binding but wierder things have happened)

Mat.

Do you have a schematic of the brake system and the master cylinder that you can post up?

Not for the 3 line system, but it's as simple as you can get (but obviously cleverer than me).

I haven't noticed any adjustment on the actuating rod, not that you can see much upside down

It could be the servo pumping the brakes up, the fronts are more effective and would therefore lock up first. When you stop the air would slowly release from the servo and release the brakes.

I would take it for a drive and when it locks up, stop release the servo hose and see if the brakes release immediately.

Worth a try

Hi,

That's strange with all new parts - how are the brakes before they bind? Do they work ok and release ok? Does the pedal feel normal? With cold brakes, have you tried jacking up and turning a wheel (calipers shouldn't be binding but wierder things have happened)

Mat.

Hard to compare, it's a few years since I last ran one of these. IIRC the pedal always felt a bit dead and unresponsive. But will do the spinny test as a matter of course

The new new master cylinder didn't want to fill the first time on the car, which has made me suspicious since