free hit
counters
My Evora Just Saved My Life - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Moxie

My Evora Just Saved My Life

Or at least saved itself and me from partial annihilation.

I worked all weekend, all last night, and all day today, so decided to go for a 10:00-midnight mental health drive and took my favorite route up to WhiskyBob's -- https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Jackson+Heights,+Queens,+NY&daddr=41.027494,-73.7120505+to:41.109482,-73.7310824+to:41.163212,-73.6722373+to:South+Salem,+NY&hl=en&ll=41.018765,-73.606339&spn=0.633597,1.493454&sll=41.142532,-73.647795&sspn=0.079051,0.186682&geocode=FeLhbQIdQqKY-ykrabSRoV_CiTFKMn6xT-Zz5Q%3BFaYHcgIdTj6b-ylZDOPk-ZbCiTFbyccey6xTxg%3BFepHcwId9vOa-ymNprVvzL3CiTH4Ez1wNJj0iw%3BFcwZdAId09mb-ylLxLxiP7vCiTEfDkpzSj5kyw%3BFf3DdQId-aud-ykvQgoJTqnCiTHhaBbSzMv-JQ&oq=South+Salem&mra=dpe&mrsp=3&sz=14&via=1,2,3&t=m&z=11 -- (sorry Robert, but even though I brought some local bourbon, it was really too late to stop by). Not that the roads were empty of cars and police and I was high in the rev range and rotating the back end a bit around curves or anything (ahem), but a deer jumped out in front of me on Route 121. I seriously doubt 99% of other cars could have turned out of the way that quickly. I ended up in a controlled drift that Steve Sutcliffe would have been proud of, but got it straightened out less than a foot from the opposite guardrail. Not sure if it was because I was just tired, relaxed, or have had some great training from the Skip Barber school, but to my surprise, I don't even think my pulse went up. Normally I think I would have wet myself, but I just sort of recovered and thought, "Huh, that was close." 

Anyway, the handling, feedback, and control one has over the Evora is awesome. At least that's the text message I got from the deer a few minutes later.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well, at least it was a manly, full-sized buck threatening my Burnt Orange Evora, and not some wimpy, anemic, pygmy thing like the one Bibs hit in his Burnt Orange Evora. Pshaw.

I can think of a few times when I had to take dramatic and sudden action, and the car reacted sanely and without drama. And I usually drive with all the electronics switched off (apart from the ABS).

The hugely effective brakes also make it a safe car, despite its ability to reach high speeds very quickly.

In the end, however, the driver will dictate what the car does, so I can't encourage enough people to test and improve their own abilities on a track and get to know their car better.

Indeed. I've taken several courses, but this (2-day version) class (on this side of the Atlantic) was worth every penny...and what got me in an Evora and got me hooked on one: http://www.skipbarber.com/highperformance.asp