free hit
counters
Fuel tank seating foam - what to stick it with? - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Nelly

Fuel tank seating foam - what to stick it with?

I am just about to put the new fuel tanks in my S2 Esprit.  I have purchased some closed cell foam, but don't know what to use to stick the foam to the underside of the tank.

The tanks will be alloy ones from SJ.

Any suggestions?

One of the old tanks didn't even have foam on it on the top or bottom!

Thanks

Neil

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I am going to be doing the same thing soon and was going to use contact adhesive. Another suggestion would be to use the tacky carpet adhesive you can get in an aerosol.

Contact adhesive.  I would play it safe and use a high temperature grade though

Surely, this is just about keeping the foam in the correct place whilst installing. Once in situ, gravity will be the glue?

If you want a seal between the foam and the tank, contact will not be enough, but I dont think that is required.

Sooooo, I used quality contact and was very careful to check the foam had not folded under on insertion. Easy to do in a tight spot.

Test the adhesive on your foam first. Dont leave the glued on foam too long - some glues revert to an oily mess after having been apparently well stuck initially, depending on conditions. I'd aim for a reinstallation  no more than a couple of days after gluing.

Thanks guys,

I have some contact adhesive left over from the interior and after posting this thread it came into mind!  Thats what I will be doing then,

Glueing/installation will be same day.

Hi all, I'm at the same stage; tanks painted, closed cell foam bought and cut etc.  I was wondering about not glueing at all... the cut I've done fits very snug in the raised lip of the tanks so I'm not worried about it going anywhere...

Also, in talking to 'Foamland' the bloke told me that closed cell foam will over time retain its 'squeeze', where open cell foam will spring back much more.  Clearly closed cell foam avoiding corrosion makes sense, has anyone found that over time the tanks are not sandwiched into place so well due to the foam compressing?

My tanks are in the car now.  For what its worth, one of the old tanks never had any foam top or bottom.

I used 20mm foam (as per the orignals) but closed cell.  It was a bit tight getting the boards back in place, but at least I know because of that they are nicely held in place.

Would not think its a good idea not having foam on them, certainly on the bottom.