free hit
counters
Strobe Timing - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
madmax

Strobe Timing

Can anyone give me any pointers (literally) for strobe light timing on my 1978 Elite S1?

I've just fitted an Alden Automotive electronic ignition system as recommended by Chris Foulds and when I put the distributor back in, the car started and ran immediately - brilliant!!

However, when I've come to connect a stroble light to time the car accurately to 10 degrees BTDC at tickover, I cannot find any timing marks or reference points at the front of the engine when I shine the strobe.

I have no cambelt cover fitted and wondered if that has any marks on it which should normally be used as reference points.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers!

Simon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It helps if you put a bit of white paint in the notch in the pulley wheel, and wipe a very small amount on the tops of the raised lines on the markers.

I used to use Tipex, but now typewriters are no longer about...

Thanks Guys

I'm familiar with the notched pointers, marks on pully wheels and the idea of hi-lighting them with paint or typex but I'm damned if I can see any of either on my own particular car!

This morning I've had the bonnet off and the rain shield so as to give me a clear view from above but I cant see any markers or reference points at all - bizarre!!

I must be missing something so obvious that it's staring me in the face but whether I look from the top or underneath, I cannot find what I was expecting to find.

I don't want to guess it with all the recent hot running problems I've had and although it started well and appeared to run fine, I'd rather know it was as spot on as I can get it.

Thanks for your help so far - think I'll put it all back together and road test it if it can just stay dry.

I wanted so much for the car to be mint for this weekends Croft meeting.

Simon

Well Chaps,

I've found it - covered in grime and concealed by the alternator stay and air conditioning paraphanalia so all I need now is some white paint and a suitable strobe. Oh, and of course a line of sight once everything is running.

Wish me luck and thanks for your help once again.

All we need now is a dry and sunny weekend - fat chance!

Simon