free hit
counters
Clutch Slave Cylinder 97 GT3 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
GordonMasson

Clutch Slave Cylinder 97 GT3

On my way home last night I lost all the action on the clutch but managed to pump it up a bit to crawl the last few hundred yards.

Not surprisingly, the master cylinder was empty. Master cylinder is in good condition and there is a braided clutch hose fitted so I am assuming it’s the slave cylinder that’s gone.

I guess its located under one of the floor panels in the boot but before I start pulling things apart:

Can you confirm what I have to remove to access it?

Assuming I go for a replacement cylinder rather than a seal kit, what car does the slave cylinder come from.

I need to get the car on the road for the weekend so any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

No need to remove any panels Gordon you can get at it quite easily from underneath. Only the braided hose to remove and 2 bolts. Took me 1/2 hour to do mine a few years back.  You can get a service kit for it, but best to replace imo.  I got a Lotus one in ignorance but worth checking the cross reference as I think it's an off the shelf Girling unit fitted to lots of stuff.

Ade

Thanks Ade

Anyone know what the slave cylinder comes from or the Girling part No. ?

Think i will replace the cylinder rather than use a repair kit

I have used an alloy Land Rover Series 2A clutch slave cylinder on my car, it cost less than £20.

There was a handy guide to changing on one of the original websites devoted to the Esprit (Andy Whittakers) but it seems to have largely disappeared

Yes, it's a direct replacement. Swap it over, bleed it and you're good to go.

Well i did order one up..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220747860640?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Size was perfect but the thread on the input port was different from the old girling one which was on the car which i think is a Girling 54679183 (hard to read)

In the end i cleaned up the old one and swapped out the piston / seal from the new one and its holding so far but dont want to spend a lot of money buying a different cylinder if there is one available with the right thread.... any ideas

Adapters are available to join the two.

Personally, I won't screw around with this ambiguity.  For me, it's straight onto PNM or SJ and get the one that simply fits.  A few more pennies, but far less aggro.

Hope this is the same on my x180

As it's the only bit of the clutch that's not new, I ordered one

It definitely is the same for the X180, put one on mine last year.  But you will likely need the JIC adaptor as Chris says.

In fact I've just bought another one today for the S4.

It already has a braided hose with adapter fitted but the slave cylinder looks rough so for the sake of a tenner its worth changing!

Just bought two, one for now, and one for later in aluminium (as per the link, thanks). But I don't know a thing about threads. So could someone more knowledgeable than me, please cut it out in cardbpard and explain me, what i need to buy? So I can prder a propper fitting/adapter, so I can get on installing the new slavecylinder, without having it opened up for days, while trying to investigate?

Btw. I installed a braided hose from South West Lotus Center earlier on.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Jacques.

You will need an Army/Navy (AN) adaptor if you've got that Land Rover cylinder offa eBay. I actually have a spare or two if you want. Let me check the specs and give you a source in Sweden. Back in 10.

....and back:

http://www.btracing.se/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=370

EQ1/8" NPT hane till 3/8" UNF hane. RD1530

Finding that thing here gave me a headache.

Here's one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-3-3AN-Male-to-Male-Union-3-8-x-24-UNF-Stainless-Steel-Adapter-/380599690014?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item589d82631e

So for posterity and other poor bastards who are going to go through the pain of finding out exactly what threads they need:

AN -3 (3AN) Male to Male Union 3/8" x 24 UNF Stainless Steel Adapter

Thanks Again.

I bought this hose set from SWLC and it did not fit the car, unless I too all the rubbers out and filed back end fitting Down quite much. Then it fitted. It came with some adapters to be able to connect it to the master and slave. Honestly don't know what thread is on this fitting.

But, I'll try and source the adaper you pointed at tomorrow.

Cheers,

Jacques.

post-1034-0-22588000-1414702297.jpg

My local small toolshop demonstrated them to me long time ago, and I bought all three sizes in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" as a gift specially from me to the Esprit, when I bought the car. Other Bacho sets will due for the other car.

I know... sick... ;)

The handle is really nice, as it can adapt to strange angles and avoid you scraping your hands. Best type in my humble view. And the sockets grip even better, plus the lock prevents it falling off somewhere absurd ;)

Bacho is now made in scrapchina, not Sweden, and Wera is german steel, made in Germany. So I stick to that ;)

Now I'll go find that adapter in aluminium, and eventually ask the shop if they can make a whole new hose set with complete alufittings and fittings that can be taken off and changed etc; not pressed on like the Lotus type I've got now, as in my picture.

Cheers,

jacques