free hit
counters
Compare the Launch NA manual with the 2013 S-IPS - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
anubis1

Compare the Launch NA manual with the 2013 S-IPS

After having driven 62000 KM in 3 years with my launch edition handshift i changed to a 2013 S IPS modell. So: same car, but in fact... not the same. 

The 2009 NA was more "rooty" and lesser detailed. So running with the NA was more driving the old fashion way using the clutch with left foot, It rolls a bit lumpier; anyhow: fantastic car. 

The new one is more slimfitted and better built. Cant say what, it is the whole impression which suits tighter to the driver. (including the new steeringwheel)

Some massive better things are: the light warning into the display when whatever lights are on, a smoother suspension and better inside quality; despite the old seats in the NA have been wonderful, the new seats in the piped version of the S are really comfortable. 

Driving: in the NA I drove in Sport modus only! In the S with the IPS it is a bit different. In the D mode the gear switch is really "oldmanstyle". = it shifts perfect but fully unemotional rolling around with 1500 RPM. The intervention with the padel on the steering wheel is often necessary to remember, where you sit in. (doubleclick)

In Sports mode there is full shift control with fingers. Anyhow, there for me the IPS is not "the" best way to be buit. I compare with my Range Rover, which also in manual mode goes really smooth from one gear to the other and backwards. In the Evora S IPS there is some jerking, but I cant say when and why. The lesser throttle you use, the more jerky the IPS is. So, maybee it is built to go on full speed. Anyhow: the 6 speed normal gear box is lesser intensive than the IPS in daily use; 

The suspension is better adjusted (with same tires). So to dirve the S is for me now rolling the car which has grown by the time. Good work by Lotus. 

Engine: the compressor is always hearable... so this might not be everyones choise in sound. But OK, it works. There is no big difference between the 2 cars engine. Much different: the consumption. I have more than one liter higher consumption in the S whcih I never pulled up more than 4000 RPM in these first 3 month. That might leveling in, but I think that the really low consumption in average of the NA is unreachable. 

Consens: the S IPS is a absolute great car and it is for me one of the beautyfullest car in the world. Thanks to me that I have the opportunity to own it. 

And thanks to Lotus to have changed the Alpine Horror machine into a Pioneer alternative, which apart of very small buttons on the screen,  is ways better. 

Edited by anubis1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A nice insight into the first and latest car, thanks.

Trevor.

Very interesting review. An impressive mileage in your previous car !

I would probably choose a Supercharged IPS too if I were to upgrade from my current car. The combination of extra oomph and fingertip shifting is very attractive.

When I tested a manual 2011 S model after my NA 2010 model, I had similar thoughts that it was better in every way while the original was so good that I didn’t think Lotus could (or needed to) improve it.

In the end, it’s really a question of preferences, driving needs and budget that will dictate a buyer’s choice in the model range.

I was also privileged enough to drive a new 2013 Evora S (manual) -around Croft, no less!  What a difference compared to the 2011. It's a transformed car, and I can honestly say it's worth the list price. Interior quality has jumped, as has the feel of the steering and gear change. 

As expected, the supercharger makes it usefully quicker, but it's the new exhaust that really surprised. Much more fitting of a car of this calibre. 

Rooting around the back of the sofa for the 60,000 pound coins....

Nice feedback, Ritchie. I had a chance to test drive the 2013 IPS S a couple months back and I'll be honest--Nothing was significant enough for me to want it over my 2010 NA.

While there was plenty of little changes that do add up to an overall improved build and anyone going forward would be foolish to choose a 2010 LE over a 2013, unless of course they had an issue with the price difference. For me it would take a substantial improvement in performance or build quality for me to warrant spending another ~$80,000 on a new 2013 S (or IPS S). Plus I don't think I would get much for my current car-- perhaps $45K at best (considering the mileage). It works out to a $35K out-of-pocket for what I genuinely feel are nominal improvements at best, at least for my uses. Even with the supercharger it made very little difference on my grin factor. (I honestly couldn't tell the difference, granted my current car has a few upgrades of its own, being the Radium CAI and a straight pipe setup). I think I might on the track, but on legal roads, they both have plenty of pep to keep me smiling :)

Edited by Squidward

The LE was 2009. The 2010 models are already much improved.

From my experience, the S is noticeably quicker - of course, you notice it more at speeds in excess of 100 mph - and has the low down torque which actually reduces the need for an automatic gearbox. Where you would change down in an NA, in the S you just stay in gear and it pulls away.

Its high speed stability is also better thanks to the bigger rear diffuser. I mean 200km/h plus, so it's really only obvious on a track or a German Autobahn. I remember taking a large curve at 240 km/h (where my NA would only manage 210) and I felt that the rear of the car was absolutely glued to the road. 

And of course the noise, which can be adjusted at the touch of the sport button. 

The lighter flywheel on the engine also makes it very 'revvable', noticeable especially at idle when you blip the throttle.

The only downsides of the S are the consumption, significantly higher than the NA, and the much more expensive 'bespoke' tyres.

I think the two cars are designed to appeal to different buyers. The S is an Audi R8 or 911 alternative, and the NA plays against the Cayman or Boxster. The prices really are comparable, in the latter case, if you spec them in the same way.

Although personally I would choose my NA Evora over a R8 V8 every day of the week (the V10 is different, but in that price range a McLaren MP4-12C is the right choice, IMO)

Will Lotus ever make a convertible Evora?!  Or just a targa top? That would definitely induce me to upgrade from my current car, even if it means parting with a certain amount of cash.

I know it's an engineering challenge to retain stiffness when you chop off the roof without adding 200 kgs, and I know that Lotus will not settle for a compromise in that area just for the sake of marketing an open top (unlike other manufacturers), but ... 

Edited by Anthony27

I'm pretty sure the VVA on which the Evora is built, can be used for a convertible too, so that wouldn't be the problem. I don't have a clue about why they didn't just introduce one for this summer. Oh well. Maybe next year?

I'm pretty sure the VVA on which the Evora is built, can be used for a convertible too, so that wouldn't be the problem. I don't have a clue about why they didn't just introduce one for this summer. Oh well. Maybe next year?

What summer?

Pretty sure if I was to be changing my Evora for another, I would be going for an MY12 (or newer) IPS SC.  I really liked it when I drove it, just couldn't justify the cost to change at the time.  I was also holding out some hope that a roadster was going to arrive :(

The basic chassis is engineered to have the roof cut off and be a 2 seater soft folding top into rear seat space without loss of the integrity.  That was directly from the mouth of the original design team during lunch when down at factory in 2009 @ pre-launch visit in design studio!!

However nice comparision Ritchie. I am going to find out myself sometime hopefully in June when I'll be collecting my 4th Evora............. Nuts or what?   It will be a 'previously enjoyed' (Aston Martin terminology) manual S and has 2013 engine/g'box and exhaust on it.  More details to follow later of a rather interesting car.................

I always have said that I wasn't going to go for the S as I didn't think it offered enough over the NA and I too have held out in eternal hope of the roadster appearing despite being told numerous times it wasn't going to happen.  Annoyingly it was well progressed when Danny Bhoyo got involved.  Anyway this chance came along and presented itself to me in a different packagein the right colour and at the right price. I'll be advertising the present 2+0 very soon if anybody is interested.

Justin did you ever get the side sills fitted?  maybe I should read other posts before asking taht but been too busy for this subsection section last few weeks.

@Al  as I think you have the same Range Rover as I have. Compare the shifting in handmode with the Evora IPS. Either my Range is soft as butter or the Evora IPS has a "racingeffect". There are gearchanges the softway and others where I think, something is wrong. Anyhow... it works; but seems a bit strange to me, while cruising the gearchange by paddles is often mysterious. 

by the way: as the old Evora had a two color inside (doors, dashboard) and the new S is annoing I am at work to put leather stripes on the doors. Should be finalized soon, but a bunch of work, caus I dont want to glue it but instead use an adhesive tape not to hurt the original leather. But leather on leather is tricky, so I got a special tape from a leathermanufacturer whcih should ... fit. let's see,

Al, Keen to hear more on the New car? Brandon must love it when you walk through those big glass doors! :)

My skirts are getting done next week, took ages to arrive..

Justin, patience my friend is a virtue........ :hrhr: Just wait a few weeks more and all will be revealed.

I am however really interested in your skirts.  :B)  (Well you know what I mean!!)  Will definitely have to meet up sometime to see them on the car.  Are you coming down to the Grassmarket on 16th June or to Alford Speedfest on the 30th?  I'll be at both.  We also have the Brazilian restaurant LEGS dinner on 29th in Aberdeen.

Ritchie, I have the 2.0Ltr turbo petrol Evoque and I find the autobox and paddles very keen to kick down abruptly when I don't want it to for the smallest movement of the accelerator. Conversly  when towing a 8'x5' twin axle trailer it goes up to high too quickly at times.  A strange combo.  I have started driving it more in S mode with the paddles to make it stay where I want it to.

Ha! I'm offshore 10-24 June so will definitely be free for Speedfest. Will let you know about Tropeiro!

has LEGS got a stand at Speedfest?

:offtopic: Justin see the LEGS section postings.  Keep up at the back!!! (Where I'll be when up against Brian's Exige S) Gordon I'm sure will be happy to have your car with the non 'competing' cars. Posting in there about Tropeiro as well.