free hit
counters
Sump Plug Removal - Best Approach? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
j900jpw

Sump Plug Removal - Best Approach?

Hi,

Decided to start servicing my V8 myself. I was reluctant as I wanted a stamp in the service book but after doing more difficult tasks such as radiator replacement, clutch etc I thought doing the service is very easy so would do a DIY.

The sump plug has at oil temp sensor with a plug attached so whats the best way of removal? - a ring spanner or a deep socket to clear the plug. I would prefer a deep socket as then I can torque up on replacement. Wondering what approach anyone has used? Anyone know the size of the sump plug head as I will need to buy ring spanner / socket?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Julian

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Julian

Please have another look. My 99 V8 does not have anything attached and requires a 12 mm allen key/socket to undo.

If yours is different then I apologise,but make sure you are looking at the sump plug.

Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for your help.  Slightly later cars have the temp sensor instead of the straight forward "normal" sump plug.

Cheers

Julian

Well what I can say is it very fragile, I had to buy a new sump plug with a new sensor and plug and then rewire it to the sender cable. However I am not clear at all what this sender does- another EVU input? What I do know is if you disconnect it the CEL light does not come on

Cheers Bob

I ordered a few of the plug O-rings (A912E6694F) for spares. I believe I used a box wrench to loosen the plug. The only important part is unplugging the sending unit.

Edited by billstr

Hi,

Thanks for all the info. I'll get a box spanner or deep socket - anyone know the size?

Cheers

Julian