free hit
counters
Car Audio amp - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I've never had a seperate amp in a car, what is the advantage of running one? is it just so I can add a sub?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A decent stand-alone amp will be much more accurate in its reproduction of the waveform than one in a head unit. That means the sound will be better because the sound wave that reaches your ears will be closer to the perfect wave (that of the original music). If you were to use a poor stand-alone unit then there's a good chance that it would be worse than the integrated amp in the head unit.

If you upgrade to a stand-alone amp then the next limiting factor could be one of many such as power supply, interference on signal wires, speaker performance, speaker enclosure, speaker position, speaker direction and many more. Guess who spent well into five figures on audio in his youth.

Generally I'd not be bothered in an Esprit, the speaker positioning is awful, the engine noise is quite loud, and the note of the engine should be enough.

As a rule you want to be sitting equidistant from left and right speakers with them positioned such that they point at your head. Bass speaker position doesn't really matter bit mid range and higher do. Think about hearing a deep note such as a shotgun and hearing a bird. Which could you more accurately identify the direction of? It's normally the bird which is a higher range.

The only thing that I have ever considered in an Esprit is a small sub. One the roof is open or the windows open the bass leaves you. Completely agree with Andy's assessment of the speaker positions. I bought a new head unit with 50w RMS and Focal speakers and to be honest it is pretty good - apart from the bass thing mentioned earlier.

There's a very old article on LEW about this. You can get almost flat subs which fit under the seats too but as per Clemo, I always preferred the symphony of cylinders right behind my head :)

Hi

Yep I've seen the old post, but must admit not sure if I'm that bothered about all the effort, I have a kenwood head unit with Kenwood fronts, and three way rear speakers, generally I'm quite happy, a bit more bass would be good mind.

Chris