free hit
counters
Cleaning the Engine - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
rizla603104

Cleaning the Engine

I wondered if anyone could share how they keep their Esprit engine clean. There are so many conflicting pieces on engine cleaning anyway - who cleans their engine and how do you achieve it?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Careful with the alloy cleaner, many are corrosive, real bad on electrical connections, rinse well.

I use a non corrosive degreaser, and high pressure washer, start and warm the engine afterwards.

Personally would not use a high pressure washer on the engine. That'll put water where you don't want it AFAIC.

I always used AutoGlym engine cleaner!

did not know you had a bmw bibs

It's huge! :lol:

I bought some Autoglym engine cleaner and used a spray bottle. I was worried about hosing down the engine bay. I got the worst off the plenum and head. Will probably have another go soon. Thanks for the advice!

You only want a very gentle flow to rinse it off. Whatever you do, don't use a pressure washer or acidic alloy wheel cleaner.

Virosol, it's cheap and very gentle, they use it to clean up murder scenes!! 

You can use on the wheels, etc it smells of oranges. just google it

Looks good, cheap too. I'll get some of that (you say it clears it up blood too, right?)  :police:

While the gearbox is out I'll be giving it a bit of clean. Starting with a de-greaser gun off the compressor, followed by clear water from the Bosch high pressure cleaner, 110 bar, it drills holes ! might even follow it up with a coat of silver enamel, and make it easier to keep clean.

The good thing with a pressure washer is you can direct the very narrow jet, naturally you keep it away from electrical connections  spark boxes, distributors etc.

Finish with some kitchen paper down the plug recesses of the cylinder head, blow out any water with a compressor if you have one.

Start the engine and let it idle up to temperature and evaporate of any remaining moisture.

Looks good, cheap too. I'll get some of that (you say it clears it up blood too, right?)  :police:

Some guy on an audi forum was making it up and selling it at a huge mark up until he got found out. Felix has used it on his car as well, its a great degreaser, and it's gentle on the wheels.

If you ever take parts out of the car or off the engine for cleaning, try SODA BLASTING.

It's an amazing natural deagreaser and dosesn't harm glass, trim, fibreglass, electrical components and cleans grease from alloy and brings it up like new, literally.

Used properly it can be very accurate and leaves a protective film on the piece being cleaned and if you ever want to strip paint back on any engine, brake or suspension components, it's brilliant for that too. It doesn't harm rubber bushes and although it wont de rust like hard media blasting, it will take paint off, layer by layer, as gently as you like. I've been amazed by it.

Just Google Soda Blasting and you'll see a whole array of snippets on there.

If you've ever wondered how to get a Dellorto carb clean like new again with all the intricate hidey holes and corners for grime, soda blasting will do it.

The only downside is that it leaves a talcum powder like residue all over everything which really then needs blasting off with an airline or rinsing.

Hope that helps

Simon

• Like 1

Try a product from a company called Astonish, 99p for a trigger spray bottle, dirt cheap and the best I have ever found. I now buy a case at a time from homebargains or poundland but they dont always have it in stock.

I use muc-off bike cleaner on a lot of things including the engine it works well