free hit
counters
Cannot engage 1st or 2nd gear on 79 Esprit S2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tonytransam

Cannot engage 1st or 2nd gear on 79 Esprit S2

Happened on way to kart track, I cannot move the lever to engage 1st or 2nd but I can engage every other gear, so had to nurse it home starting in 3rd, luckily drive home was mainly dual carriage way.

Edited by Roger Moore

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Im sure it will be a crossgate needing adjustment. I bet you can reverse without having to lift the gear knob? There is a thread recently on this subject worth reading.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/57292-cross-gate-cable-adjustment/?hl=crossgate#entry455806

If thats not it let us know.

Buddsy

I will check this but i have done a little with cross gate cables and it doesn't feel like this. The lever has absolutely no travel to the left, like something is physically blocking it and it is perfectly lined up with 3rd and 4th.

I had a similar thing but couldnt get 5th. It felt like something solid and thought it was going to be an issue inside the box but was the crossgate. First thing I would do would be to lay under the back of the car and try to get the gears and work from there.

Buddsy

The left pin that the the gear lever pivets on to move backwards and forwards had popped out. Pushed it back in and all is well again. Not sure how it came out in first place though.

Glad you got it sorted and hopefully it will stay where it should be!

Good job.

Buddsy

Loctite Stud and Bearing Fit is good stuff...applied carefully...(!)

Sorry to raise an old topic but just removed the gear lever from the front rod to replace the last bush and forgot to take note of which side of the lever does the rod go, left or right or does it make any difference.

Edited by johnpwalsh

Had a look at the Servicing Notes, and the tubular linkage is shown as going to the left of the gear lever...left as you sit in the car, that is! Also to the left of the relay lever on the engine mount. Have fun!!