free hit
counters
Eclat fuel gauge sender - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Drawfiler

Eclat fuel gauge sender

My Eclat fuel gauge has stopped working, I have volts on the one side of the meter and it swings over if I short the other side to earth so my problem is with the tank sender, the lead to it or the earth return, so my question is where is the return and must I take the rank out to get to the sender to test it.

Any help and advice much appreciated.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had to fix my Elite too.

The fuel gauge and temp gauge are fed from a 10V voltage stabiliser, which is a crude thermal regulator mounted on the rear of the speedo. I am replacing mine with a solid state version (side benefit is I can adjust voltage to calibrate temp gauge, a volt too low and it makes a large difference to temp reading).

The sender is basically a variable resistor, and I think at half tank was approx 160ohm,  but can easily check, when you have access to the sender. You might just have a wire loose, I did. and it is difficult/fiddly to get at. You will need to remove the tank, at least partially, as the sender is in just the wrong place for easy access. I have pictures if you want of my tank in pieces. Removing the flexible hose filler is a bugger, and then actually getting the tank out was tight on mine. 2 bolts hold it in place.

There are 3 wires, one is the low level switch which switches to ground a light on dash, other goes to gauge which goes to 10V, and other to ground

If you need more help just ask. Clive

Clive, my question is where does the earth return from the sender go to ground as I want to check that before taking the tank out, do you remember this?

Many thanks

Peter

It is from sender to the battery neg terminal on mine, as the battery is at the rear. I think the Eclat is in the front? There is an earth point on right side of petrol tank though, hopefully same for you.

cheers, Clive

Hi,

On my 1979 eclat (with the battery in the front) the earth from the fuel sender went to the earth point on the chassis bolt to the right hand side of the fuel tank.

Mat.

Well that should do it. Do your rear lights and other things still work? If so the earth is probably fine. If you have a multimeter, see what volts you get, although it may vary enormously due to the 'stabiliser'. Does the temp gauge still work ok? Just a bit of detective work required.

Thanks for all your advice, yes the gauge works OK, if I short it to earth it swings to full scale so the problem is either the wire to the sender, the sender itself, or the earth return so I will have to get the tank out , so its rear sets out etc.

Peter

probably the connector has worked itself off! Mine had. Have fun.

Clive

Peter,

The seats can stay in,the two bolts that hold the tank in are in the wheel arch, you just need a second person to help or have very long arms, the sender is accessed from the top of the tank and just needs to be tapped round with a hammer, mine sized up after standing for 4 years, 2 min job to free up, 1/2 day to get the tank out and back in. have fun. The earth on the Eclat goes straight to the battery -ve terminal. 

John

John

I discovered after wrestling one back seat out! I agree you need arms like a gorilla to do the tank bolts so it will come out this weekend.

Thanks

Peter

John

I discovered after wrestling one back seat out! I agree you need arms like a gorilla to do the tank bolts so it will come out this weekend.

Thanks

Peter

You need two men and a girl for this..the men twiddle the bolts while the girl makes the sandwiches!

Put a ring spanner on the bolt in the wheel arch, and turn slowly till it locks into place. The bolts are easy, the bloody fuel filler connections were horrible for me. had to half push out the filler caps with the rubber surround, and push, cajole, swear and get divine intervention to get the hose joiner up enough to clear the tank pipes, and then do the other one! Ah, and if you don't follow the guide to remove fuel( I didn't, had half a tank full), it was a very tight fit in there. Good luck.

The saga contnues.I can get at te sender without taking off any of the tank pipes so I then discovered that the snder was badly worn and the used replacement only slightly better. I then started to look for a new one and ended up with Speedy Cables wo had one in stock so that is going in next.I also plan to put a thin sheet of plastic over the top of the sender and its layer of duct tape to stop the connectors working loose. 

Do what I did, cut an access panel in the rear shelf inside the cabin to allow access to the sender and more importantly the 3 wires, I never have to take my tank out, just remove the left rear seat.