free hit
counters
Anyone following "overhaulin'" ? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Anyone following "overhaulin'" ?

Spotted something interesting on Chip Foose's Overhaulin show last night. For those of you that may be unfamiliar with the show, he takes people's project cars that have been languishing for years for whatever reason and does a makeover on them with Foose stying changes (so those who are only into accurate restoration may not like it). The cars are done behind the owners backs (wife gives keys, owner thinks lesser work is being done, etc). In the beginning he used to "steal the cars' (with wife/relative's permission) and they owner would be dealing with fake police giving him runaround until the reveal is ready.

Well enough background. last night's part one was all about a Lotus Europa that had been given away to a friend who is having the car fixed up and then will be surprise given back to the original owner. Both friends do volunteer work in Jay Leno's garage and Jay approached chip about it. What Foose is doing as a total styling/engineering makeover. Out goes the original Renault engine and a Lotus donated Elise engine (with Porsche transaxle) in a redesigned/beefed up frame. The body is losing some length, getting new headlamps and GT-40 like radiator ducting and the doors tops are styled up into the roof. Overall the body will be much stronger for the power upgrade. The paint is going to be a Foose spin on the Gold Leaf color scheme.

As I said, not for the purists, but an interesting take on what the Europa could have been. Part 2 is next week. 

Edited by comem47

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There have been many efforts to make the Europa a bit more macho over the years, the 47D and GKN spring to mind. It will be interesting to see what Foose comes up with.

I haven't noticed any new editions of Overhaulin' for a  quite a while now, but then I don't watch much TV. It would be interesting to know if these shows are on the way to the UK and what channel (or if they have been on and I've missed them)

lotus62big_front.jpg

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Yup, I'm very aware of the Type 47(that Bill Colom among others raced in the US years later than when new) and AFAIK the one and only GKN-47D still resides in the Boston MA area with the owner of approx 25 yrs or more  (saw it once at a British Car show at the Larz Anderson Museum of Transportation in Brookline MA). Foose's design spin sounds interesting in concept with the Elise engine mounted inline (as original Europa, vs Elise transverse). Anxious to see the outcome and I hope they show some track time.

Edited by comem47

I recorded it last night and watched it today. Very cool! I think I would have left the rear bumper in the stock position but can see why he wanted to change it. Looking forward to seeing Part II.

Like you I understand why Chip wanted to change it but I would have left it in the stock location or modified the rear a bit more. From what it looks like in part 1 the rear of the car is at a little angle and will overhang above the bumper. With a fiberglass body it won't take much of an impact on anything to damage it. We will see in part 2 if it this will be addressed.

Looking forward to seeing the finished car. to me it looks like most of the changes will make it look awesome. Plus the added power, which I hope won't be too much for this light car.

Edited by ramjet

Welcome to TLF Richard. :welcome:

What brings you to TLF?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Thank you. :) Honestly the post about the Lotus featured on Overhaulin brought me here. As a minor auto enthusiast I follow some interesting cars, articles, and shows. As I have never owned a lotus I have seen many out here around the Los Angeles, CA area. Don't have the space or money to be anymore involved.

Well, you're welcome anyway. The more the merrier. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Well I watched he 2nd part of overhaulin last night and it looks like they did an excellent job on their reinterpretation of the design. The craftsmanship looked excellent. Unfortunately we never saw the new owner drive the car as they usually do (and I was hoping to see it at the track as the owner used to race the car.) I may be wrong but it looked like the owner gained some pounds in the many years since the car was parked and he seemed to have a difficult time climbing in (I hope I'm wrong on that). Could be embarrassing for all involved.

Edited by comem47

Caught the second installment tonight. WOW! Foose did an amazing job with one of my favorite Lotus. I would have liked to see a slow walk around of the whole car instead of the jerky shots of bits. Heat has to be a problem with the bigger engine and supercharged. I never heard how they dealt with that. Also looked like the hood wouldn't clear the engine; never saw a picture of that. None the less, a complete redesign from chassis to dash. GREAT JOB!

What? No pictures?

What about us lot that don't get the show?

Not feelin' the love. :(

There was something fishy with that reveal last night.  First of all, they didn't show the car at all.  Then they accidently showed the rear of the car, and it didn't have the relocated bumper nor the new circle taillights.  The only glimpse of the car was showing the guy climbing into it.  Oh, and the car had skinny tires in the rear (I paused it during that spot because it looked so weird).

I think they didn't get it finished in time, so they sprayed a stock Europa the same color red and assumed we wouldn't notice.

The show is still on my DVR, so maybe I'll go back and look tonight.

I loved the way the car was looking though, wow! 

I don't buy that the car wasn't done on time. They showed them multiple times lifting the body on/off the car. These TV "deadlines" are always inserted for dramatic effect and this episode was likely taped a long time ago (and we see it now). They can make it appear to be a crisis down to the wire thing, when in fact many weeks have passed (at the end of the first episode they said "weeks" remained to complete it).  The "will we make it ?" drama is good for ratings and done all the time. I really do wonder though if the car fit him correctly in their allocated time. (done, but not for him) We probably never will know since the typical ride shot wasn't done and especially at the track. For all the time they invested making it a 2 episode show we really deserved a more extensive ending.

My old Europa. My first Lotus toy back in 1982.

I molded an RX7 air dam into the front and blended an RX7 spoiler on to the read deck along with rear flairs.

Just think what a real Lotus owner could do with their budget and man power..

That guy couldn't even get his ass into the car at the end because it just sat around rotting for years and come on he traded it for a set of shitty wheels. He's no Lotus guy.

This is how you modify a Europa. http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/01/rotary-buzz-re-amemiya-20b-europa/

post-8085-0-54715100-1370350852.jpg

post-8085-0-24389300-1370350873.jpg

post-8085-0-84453200-1370350901.jpg

post-8085-0-89100800-1370352818.jpg

post-8085-0-80382700-1370352893.jpg

I think it's fast enough…maybe

There was definitely something strange about the reveal. Not sure if it wasn't finished or what. They didn't show the car much at all after it was completed. Unfortunately I can't remember if they had even raised the engine deck/hood or even started the car. heck did they even show the completed dash that they were raving about? Let alone see the owner or anyone else for that matter drive the car afterward. Now from what they showed of the completed car I thought it looked fantastic. All the modifications sound like it would make one awesome car. Just wish they would have showed more of the car and less air time of Leno and the other guys. Really did not have the normal Overhaulin feel to the show.

• 1 month later...

I stand corrected.....It took a lot more than two weeks to complete the car :no

found a photo of the interior:  Guess they couldn't make the Porsche gauges work.

post-9415-0-44301700-1373785030.jpg

If the only thing constant is change, then why do we resist change the most?

They did do a massive amount of work!  Mostly as a result of some of their choices, like the gigantic wheels...

But seeing all that work actually did inspire me to go into the garage an work some more on my Esprit!  So the show was good for something! ;)

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE