free hit
counters
Thrown caution to the wind... - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
qwerty123

Thrown caution to the wind...

Well after stern talkings to about 'ARMCO' and how hard it is, 'ruined car interior', how cheap and expendable a BMW production championship car is and the inevitable costs involved with changing an Esprit round I have ignored all the warnings and taken the plunge.

Much to Geoffs' and my long suffering wifes' annoyance, of course, I have opted to get the car stripped and prepped with a cage etc for racing.

I have joined the RAFMSA (again, after a long sebatical) and plan to run in the race series but will only manage (hopefully) the last three of six races this year. Anglesey, Oulton and Brands(?) not in that order.

I will pop along to the Birketts 6hr at the end of the year also to see what is 'up' as the RAFMSA have done rather well in this event in recent years.

All the safety kit is purchased, just need to drop the car off at the 'cage man' with the knowledge and hope he doesn't ignite all the fuel in the tanks whilst welding...

All's well and I'll end up with a Chromolly fully FIA certified cage and a rather stiffer framed car... and a rather lighter wallet.

Still, I can put my fists up a-la Queensbury rules and challenge all the amazingly quick modern stuff while they laugh out loud at me in my 20 year old (almost) classic.

I'll show 'em!

Wish me luck.

post-6336-0-97922600-1369673291.jpgpost-6336-0-22069900-1369673366.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Luck....lots of it!

Nice! I'll look forward to cheering you on at Brands! 

Are you going for a full cage? There was a V8 one of the 'experience day' companies used to run with a full cage a few years back so Lotus might have some plans/suggestions?

Good luck but sad that an Esprit can get treated in this manner.

Thanks for the support, it looks worse than it is, most of the trim was tatty and dirty so no real regrets.

Best place for an Esprit is on track imo. Had the itch for ages.

It'll remain road legal for the time being until I can arrange transport. I may hire a trailer depending on distances etc.

I aim to tidy stuff up inside once the kit is all installed. It'll get worse before it gets better though ;-)

Edited by qwerty123

Hi folks, just thought I'd let y'all know how it's going, the car is 99.9% finished, just needs a sticker or two, some bodge-taping of wiring and a quick once over from Geoff to isolate a vacuum problem that's arisen due to the major surgery it's undertaken.

Pics:

20130711_195411_zps55384ea4.jpg

20130711_195347_zps47a5ef10.jpg

20130711_195316_zps7021b673.jpg

20130711_195308_zpsecddcd20.jpg

20130711_164400_zps789220ea.jpg

the last one is the dragster Andy has built to blitz the quarter mile, he's rather good at that sort of thing judging by the number of trophies in his workshop...

Best of luck in the racing!

If you ever fancy selling the GRP sunroof - please let me know.... I have a good home for it.

Edited by rizla603104

Is it just me that can't see the pictures in the first post?

Just you! lol Well they are there ok for me 2 pictures after the text.

Buddsy

Hi Paul, the roof is actually one of the first runs of solid carbon fibre ('bout 4-5mm thick) and is about half the weight of the glass it replaced. Unfortunately it's now rivetted solidly in place and I kinda need it in the unlikely event...

I did sell the glass and the front grp lip thing for very reasonable prices back in the day so if anything else comes up I will see. I've given away stuf like EBPVs, ally exhaust spacers etc in the past and sold a steering wheel for small money so keep an ear to the ground. In fact, I have an entire interior that I will pick a few choice bits from, then I will put up for grabs what's left. Mostly leather sides, door panels and the like removed to make way for scaffolding.

Regards

D

Best of luck in the racing!

If you ever fancy selling the GRP sunroof - please let me know.... I have a good home for it.

Thanks for letting me know - I'll keep looking :)

"Trac Mon"

Well that's race meet No1 out the way, two races on my card to work towards binning my 'Biff' X.

Did ok, needed to sort tyre pressures, fix a rattle and the chargecooler pump was having a fit til Geoff cast a spell on it and hey presto, an extra 30% !

Took me 8 hours to get there and 7 to get back, less traffic. Anglesey is miles away.  Nice circuit, we did the coastal which was good.

Weather was Scorchio and the racing was tight. We run such a varied series that we end up in groups around the track, till the Caterfield types lap you ;-)

Scrutineering was a breeze, surprisingly, but the sound man recorded 108.8 db !!! 105 is the limit, must get my exhaust repacked. Funny as Geoff said I wasn't the noisiest on track by some margin...

The engine sounds bril though, lots of growling popping and crackles and foot long flames coming out the back. I have video, I will try to post it.

I was dicing with a superfast 206 with a throttle bodied 2 litre up front, bloody nippy but I could get him on the back straight only for him to catch up in the tight bits. He was about 300kg lighter than me.

I think I brought something different to the show, certainly got some attention and a few nice comments and didn't disgrace myself.

All in all, an epic weekend!!!!

Edited by qwerty123