free hit
counters
Officially a supercar - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TomE

Officially a supercar

We all know that the Evora is a super car, but there's been ongoing debate about whether it qualifies as a "supercar".  The Johnny Tipler book Lotus Evora - Sublime Supercar helped a bit but was open to accusations of bias having been commissioned by Lotus :)

We now have a definitive answer from Goodwood - both the Festival of Speed and Supercar Sunday Breakfast Club have declared the Evora S qualifies for supercar status.

:unworthy:

Here's the list of supercars eligible for parking in a special supercar paddock at FOS: http://www.goodwood.co.uk/downloads/grrc-docs/2013-fos-approved-supercar-list-final.pdf

I've also been invited to join the featured cars on the grid at Supercar Sunday.  Other Evora Ss will also be eligible for entry to the themed area but you'll need to pre-register to get a pass.

So let the debate continue on what counts as a supercar and why the Evora S is in the Goodwood list but the NA Evora isn't.

:gathering:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm pretty sure Topgear called the LE a supercar when they reviewed it Tom and you can't argue with Clarkson now can you! :lol:

I do find it odd that all Esprits are included as Supercars, the early non turbo cars are nice but are not that potent, even the non charge cooled turbos are on the low side but other makes are restricted for instance only the TVR speed 12 is allowed, Noble only M600 allowed etc

It's the old story of what is a supercar?

Congrats Ross! Which one did you get? :thumbup:

I bought a black S IPS MY12. I paid £46k for it with 9k on the clock and 18 months warranty remaining. It was the one at Lipscombs. I saw it on their site but they said it was sold and then the guy who bought it contacted me saying it was bought by him 2 months previously! Anyway, he is moving house and so, with 3 other cars thought his 'station' car should be sold (yes, he bought it to commute to the station!). He also had a TWISTED Defender 110 which was awesome but did 9mpg! As much as I fancied a SR this is the same spec (almost) for £20k less. I just couldn't turn the deal down even if I wasn't really after a black one. Trying to sort all the paperwork this week so I can have it for the weekend. I bet I end up getting it next Monday! :thumbdown:

Well done Ross and what a good deal you got.

You will have to let us know what it's like to drive when you get it.

Can't wait for mine too. I'm told its still on schedule for the end of June.

Regards

Will

However, at between £50 and £60 for a day ticket to park in an "exclusive" field while the great unwashed scratch my paintwork, I think I'll stick to taking my Range Rover again despite having an eligible car for the supercar car park.

This will also mean I've got a chance of making it out onto the road once the place gets churned to its usual muddy state when the rains come! biggrin.png

I'm less than a mile from Lipscombs, pop in for a cuppa with the new car if you like or I could meet you there :thumbup:

Naturally, a certification that the power output of any Evora S presented for the 'supercar' park has been measured by a reputable test authority and meets the Lotus specified figure will be inspected at attempted entry!   :harhar:

I was following a guy in an Aston last night...he thought he was billy big bollox but it made me chuckle being a DB7 wouldnt grant him access to the above event but my old Turbo (when finished) should sail in!!

Buddsy  :harhar:

We all know that the Evora is a super car, but there's been ongoing debate about whether it qualifies as a "supercar".  The Johnny Tipler book Lotus Evora - Sublime Supercar helped a bit but was open to accusations of bias having been commissioned by Lotus :)

We now have a definitive answer from Goodwood - both the Festival of Speed and Supercar Sunday Breakfast Club have declared the Evora S qualifies for supercar status.

:unworthy:

Here's the list of supercars eligible for parking in a special supercar paddock at FOS: http://www.goodwood.co.uk/downloads/grrc-docs/2013-fos-approved-supercar-list-final.pdf

I've also been invited to join the featured cars on the grid at Supercar Sunday.  Other Evora Ss will also be eligible for entry to the themed area but you'll need to pre-register to get a pass.

So let the debate continue on what counts as a supercar and why the Evora S is in the Goodwood list but the NA Evora isn't.

:gathering:

Only the Evora S !!

Lotus

Esprit or Evora S only

No standard Elise, Exige, Elan,

Europa, Eclat, Excel or Evora

Whoever makes up the list hasnt got the same taste in supercars as me.

Trevor.

Decent chaps at Goodwood, obviously know what's what...  :smoke:

I'm wondering if James who works there, owns an Elise, looks after the Goodwood Evora and is a Lotus fan might have had an influence

He sounds like our sort of chap! :D

And judging by the reactions you get when driving the Evora through streets (UK - in Germany it gets less attraction) it is certainly deemed a supercar by the general public.

For me it is a perfect car, but supercars are nowadays is the 500hp plus region, mid engined, trick differentials etc. still, the Wvora is probably the most fun / best value for money one can get below the unaffordable (for me) supercar region.

^was just going to say, the Evora has definately got the looks of a supercar. I still get people pointing, taking pictures, asking questions.

However, it's not got the badge, power etc of a supercar

7 world championships isn't enough I guess!

The whole discussion is somehow embarrassing. I didn't buy the Evora because I wanted a supercar, but because it exceeded all my expectations. So, it is my supercar. Why should I care about anyone else's opinion?

Oh, Sven, I have to disagree. The Evora gets a lot of recognition in Germany - particularly from the female sex (why should I care about the rest?). It also clears the left lane on the Autobahn as only a Lambo or Ferrari would!!

Not got the badge?   :popo:

7 world championships isn't enough I guess!

It's true though. My supervisor bought a first gen Cayman, and people were blown away that he was driving a Porsche, he had won at life.

Lotus don't have that appeal

But you know...

I don't find Porsches in the least bit appealing... 

However, I see the Lotus as more of a car enthusiasts marque and far less of an aspirational brand, that's not a bad thing though, I'd say the same about McLaren compared to Ferrari too... and I'd far sooner own a McLaren.  

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve