free hit
counters
Tips on installing s2 front lower link bushes - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
vintaylor

Tips on installing s2 front lower link bushes

Hi Guys,

I've finally got round to removing the metal sleeves from my lower wishbones.  Had a quick look at the new poly bushes and they seem to be a tiny bit bigger then the lower link bush spacing.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can install them with out damaging them?

And also on a side note could anyone advice me on how the front arb to wishbone washers should be placed?I have poly bushes.

Also since i've plated my suspension bolts way back, could anyone advise me on what washers are needed for the lower link pivot bolt and front damper bolt?

Could I use s/s washers if I don't find the original ones?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

hi Vin, when i ordered poly bushes from SJ sportscars, Steve informed me that the lower links needed uprating,so i sent them off to him and a solid peice on tube replaced what was there, this was to stop the lower link twisting , the bushes slotted stright in. I will try and get a pic. Cheers Paul

Hi Paul,

I was never informed about this .. Although I must admit I bought these bushes about 2 years ago.  I'd be very annoyed if this is the case as posting my lower links to the UK would cost a fortune!

Would be great to see the pics if you have them available.

Cheers!

Had a quick look at this.. And my lower wishbones don't use the opel 'Stepped' bush, they are symmetrical each side.  So I think I should be OK.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Hi Guys,

I have an update on this... I've had the metal sleeves removed and my mechanic has tried to install the rear link bushes however the bushes aren't going in all the way and aren't sitting right.

He is using a workshop press and has informed me that if he keeps using the press he is likely to damage the bushes.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do ... Please note I am in Malta so having my rear links sent to the UK is quite expensive.

Here are the pics:

WP_20130730_002_zps15c5a2be.jpg

WP_20130730_001_zpsdd01f7e5.jpg

Hi Vin, old problem here with the lower front bushes..

if you read some old topics about that you will see that these are not really good for the esprit...as you have the later version links I would suggest to buy the original rubber ones as I did after seeing the poly quality...

they are perfect fit and as for Lotus specifications, Dr Manta and a lot of opel suppliers will be able to help you.

Giorgio

Hi Giorgio,

Wouldn't this be a problem since I have removed the metal sleeves from the lower wishbones?

Hi Vin,

It always seems like these poly bushes are too big!

When I had an issue fitting some, I just heated up the suspension arms enough to melt the poly bush (a little), so that you could push them in.